It is currently 19 Apr 2024 22:05

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014 21:23 

Current ride: 08 Uly
If you're anything like me you never get bored of seeing people's Buells (good thing I spelled that correctly!).

As I posted before, when I left the UK with work I had to leave my beloved 2009 XT behind (up yours, bureaucrats). Just couldn't bring myself to part with it, so it's laid-up and hopefully won't suffer too badly from the experience.

No points for experimentation, but on arriving in sunny California I couldn't think of any bike I'd rather own than my own, so I set about hunting another XT down. Not so easy in such an enormous country where you can't just pop round to take a look, so you're somewhat restricted unless prepared to gamble on an unseen bike. Thought I'd struck lucky when an XP came up, but the luck changed when the owner managed to get knocked-off it literally 2 days before I was due to pick it up. Insurance company wrote the bike off. Grrrrr.

The luck returned when this minter came up. Only just over 3000 miles and almost showroom condition.

Couldn't resist this one, so it's now mine. Only downsides are original tyres (so hard as hell) which will need to be replaced, and no luggage. It's quite vibey, so I'll need to get to work with a file under the seat, and have a free spirits on order which I hope will help.

The X wasn't my first choice, but it seems sensible to have almost identical machines so that I have plenty of spare parts if required (including swapping the luggage from my XT). The extra suspension travel is useful on California's roads, which are actually worse than in the UK, if you can believe that's possible. However, with all that suspension travel the front end definitely doesn't dig in and inspire endless confidence in the way the XT's does. The steering feels very 'free', like I need a steering damper - it feels like it'll fold or slap a lot easier than the XT. May need to do a conversion down the line.

Anyway, it's so good to be back on a Uly again. Perhaps the AX will inspire new lust, but really, nothing else could get me off these awesome bikes. Lucky me with the playground I have on my doorstep now.

Upcoming mods when funds recover: 2010 rear wheel, new rubber (probably Pilot 3s), output shaft bearing nipple thing (thanks to a VERY kind gent on this site), free spirits and put some proper oil back in it (previous owner switched to synthetic).

Roll on summer. Oh wait, it's always summer here :sun: :dance:

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014 21:31 

Current ride: '03 XB9S Lightning
Yeah, it's always summer where you are you lucky sod. Hope you enjoy the new bike and beware of those California girls. lOl

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014 22:19 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Great news dude :yup:

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014 22:56 

Current ride: 1125cr
Cracking looking bike you found, enjoy the new toy

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014 06:19 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
Some really good riding out there, in perfect weather. Not jealous at all lOl

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014 23:53 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
Nice bike :yup: I remember when CJ's looked like that 8-)

Steve

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014 18:24 

Current ride: 1999 X1
If you need servicing, tuning and such, take it to JTS Performance located at Sonoma Raceway (formerly Infineon).