It is currently 28 Mar 2024 21:47

All times are UTC

Post subject: Standard Airbox S1
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2016 22:27 

Current ride: Buell S1 Lightning
Now that I have my twintail fitted and functional to my '97 S1 my thoughts are turning towards the idea of a standard airbox. I've purchased a couple of incomplete ones on spec, one fiberglass and one plastic. I think the former is a '96 and the latter a '97. The thing that's confusing me is that my bike is fitted with the later pattern front mount L0159.CB(16298-99YA)with the single horizontal screw fitting whereas to fit the plastic airbox I should have L0149.CB(16336-99YA) with two vertical screw holes.My question is as this is a small tank '97 S1 in billet metallic has it been retro fitted with a later mount or did it originally come with the other,later more angular airbox? Any help or advice appreciated, and if it needs the later pattern box anyone got one for sale?

Post subject: Re: Standard Airbox S1
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016 08:52 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I'll dig out what I have, including front mounts (instantly detached oneself from the 'worth more standard' argument).

The real issue is limiting yourself to the stock front mount which is prone to failure, although you could make a bracket up to screw on to a Spondin440 mount.

Post subject: Re: Standard Airbox S1
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2016 22:39 

Current ride: Buell S1 Lightning
Thanks for the response, yes I'm very interested in buying a stock air cleaner and bits to suit my front mounting bracket. I know they are prone to fracture but I'm of the school of thought that if it's not broken leave the damn thing alone...this has worker well over the years...I probably had the only Triumph Stag in the world that never ever had overheating issues.. it rotted in front of my eyes though! I like to tweak things every now and again to keep the bike interesting, just fitted my "twintail" this season, and I thought a stock air cleaner would be a real talking point for next year!