It is currently 29 Apr 2024 00:07

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009 13:49 
Can anyone tell me if I can improve the power of my 58 lightning ss without paying a fortune for exhaust and commander mods?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009 13:56 
wobblers wrote:
Can anyone tell me if I can improve the power of my 58 lightning ss without paying a fortune for exhaust and commander mods?

Yup, that's an easy one.... here you go .. 8-)

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009 14:03 

Aside from Digger's very reasonably-priced solution, if you get find it, please let us know.

If you want plenty power but think changing the 'zorst is paying a fortune, well, can I suggest an old joke as a parable...

“A driver is lost in the darkest depths of the countryside trying to find his way back to the hotel where he is staying. In desperation he pulls over to ask directions from one of the locals. “Excuse me”, he says, “Can you direct me to xxx please?”. The local looks at him for a moment, sucks his teeth and says “I wouldn’t start from ‘ere.’”

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009 14:54 
erm right, thanks ..... I think

Zorst is where to start then, just need to find some old harley owner to mug ... heh heh

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009 15:28 

wobblers wrote:

Buy a different bike :!:

If you've got to the limits of a Buell's ability to out handle most bikes and need more power then it's probably time to go racing, or something similar. Most of the performance enhancements available are either cheap and useless or expensive and risk grenading your engine.

Digger's suggestion would help a substantial portion of the Buell riders...actually it would help the substantial portion of the Buell riders. :lol:

Buells are what they are. Just enjoy them for that.

I

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009 15:45 
:potm: , Ian..... 8-)

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009 22:52 

wobblers wrote:

Short answer - more or less no. A basic "stage 1" tune involves de-restricting intake and exhaust... so unless you are a skilled engineer you'd need to pay someone on your behalf.

If, on the other hand, what you really want is to make your 1958(?) ss go faster, then just learn to ride it more properly. A few hours with the Keith Code books and video may suffice - or failing that some advanced rider training. [I'm also in cheshire, so pm me if you'd like to borrow my copies...]

Most advanced rider training won't be free either, but it is an investment in yourself not the bike and so is more valid as a long term investment. If you don't mind expensive check out the offerings from Riders Edge at Builth Wells - or the local IAM group for the budget option. For the middle ground look for a local(?) trainer who is ex-police (preferably an ex-police instructor) and who offers ROSPA certification.

For free training, try joining a police force that still does motorcycle patrols (most still do - a few now consider motorcycles too dangerous to use within the strictures of the Health and Safety at Work Act).

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2009 10:01 

:yt:

I

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2009 11:29 

http://www.pdf-search-engine.com/keith-code-pdf.html

some reading for you saves buying

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2009 12:39 
Another suggestion, if you havn't done it already, buy a performance air filter for about £50 - it does make a difference. Put one in mine on loan and was surprised how poky my Buell became. Mitch put one in his stock 56 plate Buell and he noticed a difference also!

http://www.trojan-horse.co.uk/prods/263.html