It is currently 19 Apr 2024 16:00

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 08:42 

Current ride: buell ulisses
Hi everyone! i need to get my UK Ulisses licensed in Portugal. Does anyone know how i can get a Certificate of conformity ? i was asked almost 200 £ by a H-D dealership.. is this normal?
Cheers
Hugo

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 10:21 

Current ride: BUELL XB 9 chimera
hey a tuga lOl lOl lOl lOl numa Buell :mrgreen:
sorry cant help you on that one
Comprimentos

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 11:12 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
hugocosta wrote:
Hi everyone! i need to get my UK Ulisses licensed in Portugal. Does anyone know how i can get a Certificate of conformity ? i was asked almost 200 £ by a H-D dealership.. is this normal?
Cheers
Hugo

I know it is with cars..... typically cost the same.
This is meant to be Brave New Europe..... a COMMON market..... but you have to PAY to get a piece of paper to say your vehicle is OK to use in another corner of it....
Should come with the vehicle / be part of the V5 in my opinion.
EuroBureaucrats! Guillotine the lot of 'em! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 13:40 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
Nah, just wait until Portugal drops out of the Eurozone! :twisted:

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 13:48 

Motorrad wrote:
Nah, just wait until Portugal drops out of the Eurozone! :twisted:

:rofl: Shouldn't have long to wait!

The first I heard of this nonsense was from a customer who was moving to France and needed to re-register his Peugeot over there....
:roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 14:17 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
I have just had a ball ache re-registering a bike from the I.O.M £80 SVA test and £97 to have a new reg number.....................thieving scumbags indeed :x

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 14:29 
I need one of these also....has anybody got the HD contact address in Oxford cos I think that is who we have to approach initially.

In response to the topic in general I think I paid about 90 quid for a Honda coming into UK from Dubai in 2002 and as I recall that certificate had to come from Japan.

Years ago prior to SVA testing for bikes a COC was neccessary to prove year of manufacture for registration purposes and I assume it still is for that reason but now I understand that bikes also need the SVA test. No doubt I will discover this wonderful sequence of events soon?

Taking a bike into Portugal cannot surely be as bad as bringing one to UK. Good luck with that :eat:

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 14:48 

hugocosta wrote:
Cheers
Hugo
The COC requirement is Pan-EU.
In 1998 HD-Europe gave me mine free. Call H/D-GB or Europe direct.

rik - they in fact want to make it part of the V5 - And thus PROHIBIT totally any modifications except in dealers. No non-OEM anything.

Your choice. Here we can still do stuff - they tried earlier this year -and lost. I'm led to believe btw that Harley was keen for this to happen.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 14:50 

rik wrote:
The first I heard of this nonsense was from a customer who was moving to France and needed to re-register his Peugeot over there.
It's been a requirement since -------------- Christ knows. It was already a must in 1990 when I left the UK.

Basically the cert tells anybody who understands it - WHAT the original spec was - and that this spec conformed to EU standards. Then you have a test to see if the vehicle conforms - and if not whether the modifications are legal where you are going to.

If it conforms then as long as the move is due to a change of residence in the UE then like it or not it has to be accepted as is. If it does not conform - then they're free to make you change stuff.

Whilst I've beefed and moaned to every official I've seen during moves - I can actually appreciate the need.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 15:52 

My point was, that if a car is legal in one part of the EU, then it should be legal in any part of the EU, especially if it was made in (or for) the EU in the first place.
That said I am so rabidly anti-EU that it comes as no surprise to me.
This whole modification issue is another saga altogether. It's a fight that a friend of mine, Kev Rooney (an eminent 'special' builder), and 'ACE' (Assoc of Car Enthusiasts) are bravely fighting on behalf of all car modifiers/ customisers/ competition car owners (eg historic rally cars). The veteran and vintage brigades have sold-out by declaring that they'll agree to be limited to only driving a few days a year. :roll:
We should all fight this if we are car / bike/ vehicle enthusiasts, because it's not just about 'customising' in that sense, some of the proposals are potentially very worrying; for example 'they' even want to dictate what make of tyres you can fit..... if that's not open to price rigging by tyre manufacturers then I don't know what is. Watch the politicians line up to take positions on those boards! It's all bent.
Some regs are already in force in Germany/ France I believe .... aparently they have to come here to register a special (eg 'kit-car')...and a SVA is a difficult enough hoop-jumping exercise here!

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 16:48 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
The UK registration document carries the "E Type Approval Number", this is also found on the frame, I would have thought that was enough to register in any EU country.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 16:59 

pash wrote:
The UK registration document carries the "E Type Approval Number", this is also found on the frame, I would have thought that was enough to register in any EU country.

Thanks Pashers, my point exactly.
But if there's an opportunity for someone to extract money..... call it a Relocation Tax lOl

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 17:43 

Current ride: X1 2001
rik wrote:
pash wrote:

Thanks Pashers, my point exactly.
But if there's an opportunity for someone to extract money..... call it a Relocation Tax lOl

Dick Turpin alive an well :headbang:

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 17:44 

Current ride: Mojo
pash wrote:

This should be the case but isn't and you need the certificate. I have heard of people who were successful in blagging one free of charge in the past, but think its a matter of paying through the nose now. :evil:

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011 17:48 

rik wrote:
Call it a Relocation Tax lOl
Oh yes it's that al-right. I've just made sure somebody else pays it. It really is not worth the effort UNLESS it's a vehicle that hold some special personal value.

As for all for one - and one for all - The UK in particular presents major issues.
Headlights/Steering Wheels/and MPH clocks. Yes I know it has long been a requirement to fit kph indicating speedos to all EU vehicles. Even so there are known and accepted local modifications to EU papers. And it's probably all to do with revenue or Industry lobbying. Then again there are EU countries where no roadworthy test is required - EVER. You want that circulating around near you unchecked - I fekin don't. France is one - bike wise.

Fact is that an UNMODIFIED vehicle will pretty much sail through here. I've found that anything with German TüV papers will pretty much sail through here too.

What sometimes inflames the issue is that certain local taxes are applied that would not be expected (as an example) in the UK. I've seen ex-pat forums go ballistic on the topic - but nobody ever asks if it's something anybody local has to pay.

I btw have been Pro United States of Europe for a long time. why the feck should the states have all the fun - Everyone should just speak English dammit. That said the states doesn't.