It is currently 28 Mar 2024 14:34

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009 18:17 
The Nagged Hubby

kevmean wrote:
Nate wrote:
See these bike engines of today are not bimbling car engines with their lazy crank speeds pottering along where a hotter fuel like 95 is needed to keep'm awake, no our bikes whizz up alot keener and er lower octane fuels don't like being shoved about to quickly.

N.

I wouldn't say any tuber or XB was much different to most modern cars now as far as rpm goes ..............we're hardly talking inline four revs with our old engines........wouldn't be suprised if my lawn mower didn't rev higher.

Tis the speed they can reach the red line though, with less flywheel and less vehicle mass they can go from tick over to limit way quicker than most cars. That coupled with about 4" of stroke!! Thats alot of piston speed, most probs more than an inline four from Japan.

The only way to tell is test it on a run and compare milage to liters for both fuel types, if there is a gain or equals cost on the good stuff your engine is most definitly in love with you (definitly, definatly, defafinatly, bugger it). :D

N.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009 19:12 
The Nagged Hubby

:old: Also also :old:

With only having two cylinders and air cooled everything is going to get hotter than four cylinders and LC :old:

N.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009 20:44 

:old: Also also :old:
:hehe:

Not just hotter but a wider variation in operating temperatures. LC get to whatever heat they are designed to run and stick pretty close to that. Our things are affected by air temp, humidity, speed, revs, fuel... etc

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 10:08 
Sorry to bring this thread back to the fore but I just read this and wondered if anyone had every tried it/heard of it before?

In the UK leaded pump fuel if you can get it when mixed with super unleaded gives a higher octane than either alone! Because both use different additives to increase octane that work less effectively the higher the concentration
Source: www.more-power.info

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 12:29 

Current ride: XB9SX
I use 97 Ron in my City X most of the time & ordinary unleaded if that's all there is (like in mid Wales), but I sometimes opt for the cheaper in cooler damp weather, super when it's hot, and mix it when the mood takes me. I tend to avoid supermarkets and will gravitate towards BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power if I see it cos they seem consistent.

Had a bad experience with Tesco's 99 Ron once, but it got better or very good towards the bottom of the fuel load (mixing it again). So who can tell as I rarely go over 6000 rpm (car revs)? :shock:

I know someone (also a biker) who works for Shell on additives and he agreed with my choice's of fuel, concurred with the previous comments here about different additives in tanker deliveries, but recommended V-Power every time (well he would!). ;)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 16:20 
Interesting comments - cheers guys!

I have since used up all that fuel and filled bike up with Sainsburys super unleaded. Still having intermittent running problems so it can't be the fuel. I will start a new thread to be more specific.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 17:35 
ph4824 wrote:
I will start a new thread to be more specific.

Can someone make a new smiley like this please!

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 17:37 
The Nagged Hubby

jonnyboyrebel wrote:
ph4824 wrote:

he has a hair cut like mine he does :eat:

N.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 17:54 

jonnyboyrebel wrote:
ph4824 wrote:

Hey, Jonny's home! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 17:56 
Hi Norm! Back from my travels!!

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 18:23 
I sometimes pretend to notice the difference between 97 and 95 Ron, but I don't really.

I still use 97 whenever I can, but only because Norm once told me the world would end (or something like that) if I didn't. And he's a very wise man. ;)

Al

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 21:15 

Quote:
I have since used up all that fuel and filled bike up with Sainsburys super unleaded. Still having intermittent running problems so it can't be the fuel. I will start a new thread to be more specific.

Sainsbury's fuel used to be BP, same levels of additives etc. not sure if it still is.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 21:28 

ph4824 wrote:

S'alright, I think he's kidding :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 21:28 

Just checked, no he's not!!! :roll:

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009 22:41 

Raiderfan wrote:
I still use 97 whenever I can, but only because Norm once told me the world would end (or something like that) if I didn't. And he's a very wise man. ;)

No, RF, I said that UKBEG would be infested by... OMG, it's happened! You've been using too much 95. :lol:

Talking of which...
Bungle wrote:
Just checked, no he's not!!! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: