It is currently 24 Apr 2024 14:17

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 14:53 
In these days and times you can't be too careful. My XB9SX however has almost zero boot space for carrying a disc lock let alone a chain and padlock. Just wondered what my options might be, what does everyone else use?

Alarms annoy me and i reckon are more trouble than they're worth, (would rather get a tracker tbh) so I def want to carry something for when I park up locally. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :geek:

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 15:19 

You are correct about alarms, they can be unreliable on most bikes and a vibe-laden Buell is not a good environment for complex electronics.

A pin-lock like this is quite small but still secure... but make sure you use a reminder as it's (allegedly :oooops: ) as embarassing as hell to try and ride off with it fitted. :lol: You can also get frame-carriers for those, so you don't need to put them in a pocket or under your seat to carry.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 16:20 
Doing the disclock disco :dance: :dance:
Attachment:
image005.jpg

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 16:49 
Norm wrote:
You are correct about alarms, they can be unreliable on most bikes and a vibe-laden Buell is not a good environment for complex electronics.

A pin-lock like this is quite small but still secure... but make sure you use a reminder as it's (allegedly :oooops: ) as embarassing as hell to try and ride off with it fitted. :lol: You can also get frame-carriers for those, so you don't need to put them in a pocket or under your seat to carry.

Ok def like the idea of the pin lock (if it will fit on the Buell discs so close to the rim), but might also look into getting a carrier for my Oxford lock. Have no idea how this would attach on the Buell but it's all good fun. If I find a decent solution I'll post up here 8-)

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 16:57 

Mine is fab but I'm rogered if I can remember the brand name. It got the RiDE mag thumbs up at the time.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 17:22 

I have a Motrax Vishna disklock that fits under the seat - goes on the cover where the rear suspension comes up.

However, I ended up buying a Hein Gericke Touareg bag thing for a tenner that straps on the handlebars of my STT. Wallet, keys, disk-lock, couple of other wee bits.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 18:46 

Current ride: Lots
bench9 wrote:
In these days and times you can't be too careful. My XB9SX however has almost zero boot space for carrying a disc lock let alone a chain and padlock. Just wondered what my options might be, what does everyone else use?

Alarms annoy me and i reckon are more trouble than they're worth, (would rather get a tracker tbh) so I def want to carry something for when I park up locally. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :geek:
... It seems that you ahve already invested inthe ultimate security device.... ;) .....

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 19:54 

Norm wrote:
A pin-lock like this is quite small but still secure...

Blimey, Norm!
Are you sure you haven't been looking somewhere else?!

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 20:48 

I used to carry an Oxford cable lock with my Buells. I think there is a definite advantage in trying to lock the bike to street furniture.

On the barge (R1150RT pipe & slippers edition) I also carry an ABUS "sold secure" padlock and chain but it is heavy and bulky.

You can also used Datatag / DNA paint / microdot type security devices to deter theft by marking the real identity of your bike on all / many of its components.

At the end of the day, it is easy for "professional" theives to have a small bike like a dinkybolt away in a van if it is not secured to some fixed item. But even some simple devices should be effective deterrents against joyriders.

For greater security, consider upgrading to a 4.8litre, V-8, 716kg (dry) BossHoss motorcycle. I'd like to see anyone try to casually put one of those in the back of a van. They sound great on open pipes too!

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009 12:56 

Norm wrote:
Mine is fab but I can't remember the number of times I've been rogered with it. It got the RiDEr's mag best plug at the time.

Couldnt resist, I know, coat's already on :twisted:

2010 XT