It is currently 28 Mar 2024 12:54

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: OT Chain lube?
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 16:37 
in the past i allways used PJ1, sticks like a tramps hand to a can of cider, but i use any old shit on the TDM ratter!.. :yup:

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 20:38 

iwoo9 wrote:
Scottoilers are great...until they fail. If you are not careful you won't notice that they aren't working anymore until you have a very dry and unhappy chain. Don't ask me how I know. Scottoiler's customer service is brilliant but you don't find that out until it breaks. :evil:

You can see pretty quickly and easily that the level stops dropping, long before the chain starts suffering irreversibly. A Scottoiler is only for cleaning and secondary lubrication after all, provided the chain is an O or X-ring jobbie. I like Scottoilers, they are simple and work well. Well, most of the time anyway. A Dual Injector makes them even better and you can set them leaner too since more oil reaches the right places (which is the rings at both sides).

Other than that, gearbox oil works really well on chains. It's also very messy and smelly but at least it's cheap enough to spare you some money for cleaning the drive-way.

Nothing's as easy as a belt though :yup:

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 20:50 
softley wrote:
Better idea

wait for it

wait for it

buy a ---------------------

Belt driven Buell :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ask John McGuiness or Guy Martin if they'd rather have a chain or belt drive
:hehe:

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 20:52 
The Nagged Hubby

robelst wrote "Nothing's as easy as a belt though"

Till they snap :uhoh:

N :ner:

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 21:43 

Current ride: Uly and two Nortons
Dave from Scotland wrote:
I'm with iwoo on this one - Wurth dry lube is the way to go, but its not cheap.

Nate - as I don't own a chain drive bike any more, PM me your address and I'll post you my can of Wurth so you can "try before you buy". (If nothing else, its a small can and handy to take with you if you're off for a touring holiday etc.)

Dave

Isn't UKBEG just the best for really nice people!! Great offer Dave, you're a true gent!
My two penneth worth, whatever lube you choose to use always do it after a ride so everything is nice and warm and then soaked in and tacky for your next ride. If you lube before you ride it tends too just fling off everywhere......

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009 21:47 
The Nagged Hubby

thecoldplace wrote:
Dave from Scotland wrote:
I'm with iwoo on this one - Wurth dry lube is the way to go, but its not cheap.

Nate - as I don't own a chain drive bike any more, PM me your address and I'll post you my can of Wurth so you can "try before you buy". (If nothing else, its a small can and handy to take with you if you're off for a touring holiday etc.)

Dave

Isn't UKBEG just the best for really nice people!! Great offer Dave, you're a true gent!
My two penneth worth, whatever lube you choose to use always do it after a ride so everything is nice and warm and then soaked in and tacky for your next ride. If you lube before you ride it tends too just fling off everywhere......

Dam right TCP (TCP :shock: )

N.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2009 00:18 

Current ride: XB9R
thecoldplace wrote:

TCP,

Thanks mate, but compared with what others on this site have done for me in the past, giving away a part used spare can of lube is nothing. One member here once took a lump of 30mm dia. steel rod and spent 3 hours turning it into a very special, one-off, bolt with a thread cut in the top of the bolt head to take another bolt for me. Watching him work was gob-smacking and he saved me £hundreds.

The thing is, here we all do what we can for each other - be it a small thing or large.

(Oh, and its nice to find someone who can acutally use an apostrophie correctly!)

Dave