It is currently 29 Mar 2024 06:02

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1125r steering bearings
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019 11:10 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Well I started this job at 9.15 & was done by 10.45, that's an hour & a half.
Steering is feather light, the old bearings like Maz advised were completely shagged.
Took loads of short cuts body work removal mainly but it's worked out very well.
My bearing presser tool worked great, I used the old bearings to push in the new ones, that worked better than I thought, still had to tap the bottom one into place, but everything seated ok.
Didn't take any of the body work off as I had predicted.
Just needs a final torquing of the bolts & I'm done, cup of tea first I think.

Attachments:
9 15 3.JPG
9 15 3.JPG [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 1372 times ]
9 15 2.JPG
9 15 2.JPG [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 1372 times ]
9 15 1.JPG
9 15 1.JPG [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 1372 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019 11:14 

Later

Attachments:
10ish 2.JPG
10ish 2.JPG [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 1370 times ]
10ish 1.JPG
10ish 1.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 1370 times ]
10 30 1.JPG
10 30 1.JPG [ 1015.87 KiB | Viewed 1370 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2019 11:58 

Torqued & Finished, haven't even had to wash it.

Attachments:
Done.JPG
Done.JPG [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 1368 times ]

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2019 13:04 

Just done 45 miles this Am. Everything seems fine. Steering is very smooth & the right side skipping has stopped under hefty acceleration (praise the Lord) saves me washing my underpants.
No adjustments needed. Still, I loosened of the fork bottom nuts and jabbed the forks up & down to centre everything again before re-tightening just to be sure.
Fitting a steering damper is just a daft memory.
Just riding the Buell for the fun of it now & focusing on my Daytona for a while.
All the best folks.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2019 14:18 

Another 140+miles to Leeds & back.
Bike rides lovely.
Santa Pod here I come.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2019 20:34 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
That paving could do with re-grouting........ :ner:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019 00:38 

Ohsteveo wrote:

Yeah screw that, you've got a Buell you should know why it's like that. It's also the fashion round here in Derbyshire, the call it grassy blockng as it stops water running off the slabs so easy & overflowing my soak away.
But then you do have that (special 36 left in Britian) Cr type thingy, they had another year to sort that out from mine. Quite a few revisions on the ECM. Still, it can shift with it's six tooth rear difference in rear sprocket up on mine.
Does it have the legs though? You'd be in fifth before I was finished with third on the drag track and also in the power quicker in every gear. I'm guessing I may just hit fourth. It would be an interesting challenge I reckon on the 1/4mile. I'm sure we could arrange a run against each other to add a bit of that killer in us. & we'd get a photo, that would be something.
I hope I'm not doing it on my own but will if necessary, but my bottle will be well & truly clanking.
Anyone else fancy a go alongside? or just have a go so I'm not on my own as that is a bit Clanky for me.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019 00:42 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

Yeah screw that, you've got a Buell you should know why it's like that. It's also the fashion round here in Derbyshire, the call it grassy blockng as it stops water running off the slabs so easy & overflowing my soak away.
But then you do have that (special 36 left in Britian) Cr type thingy, they had another year to sort that out from mine. Quite a few revisions on the ECM. Still, it can shift with it's six tooth rear difference in rear sprocket up on mine.
Does it have the legs though? You'd be in fifth before I was finished with third on the drag track and also in the power quicker in every gear. I'm guessing I may just hit fourth. It would be an interesting challenge I reckon on the 1/4mile. I'm sure we could arrange a run against each other to add a bit of that killer in us. & we'd get a photo, that would be something.
I hope I'm not doing it on my own but will if necessary, but my bottle will be well & truly clanking.
Anyone else fancy a go alongside? or just have a go so I'm not on my own as that is a bit Clanky for me.

Although with the gearing thing I would be in the rev band longer, that will be interesting.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019 00:44 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

Although with the gearing thing I would be in the rev band longer, that will be interesting.

Oh...and good work with the head bearings.... 8-)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019 00:52 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

Oh...and good work with the head bearings.... 8-)

Thanks for that, did it take a lot of coughing it up heh heh :4roz: