It is currently 24 Apr 2024 22:56

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Moment of Truth
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2015 15:35 

Current ride: XB9SX
The last mile?

A Chinese lady friend told me that this years numbers meant that it would be a year of 'truth'. More like a year of perpetual frustrations for my XB rebuild!

The original HD battery showed weak at times on the Maximiser thing, but healthy voltage at others. Was my battery duff or the optimiser? The Oxford's 7 stage indicator lights now seem to be quite random when they bother to light up. All XB connectors in place, I had instruments, tail light, turn signals, but no engine light, fuel pump, or headlamp! :? Hoping I hadn't pulled and damaged the wiring loom during all my engine shuffling. Maybe the ECU wouldn't play with a low battery.

Next day I spent the whole morning doing the insurance telephone merry go round. At least they gave me another £32 off for all my trouble. That afternoon in town I ducked into a café with friend to get out of the rain and probably ate the piece of cake someone had coughed over because I quickly went down with the flu! :ill:

The day after, in a fevered haze, I rechecked all the XB connections and the ECU miraculously sprang to life. One plug in the front end was not fully seated. The low beam bulb had also blown again along with the parking bulb. Whatever the Maximiser was saying now, there was plenty of juice in the 8 year old battery to jolt the motor into life. The lump pounded away on the paddock stand sounding fairly healthy after the hydraulic tappets took a few seconds to pressurise. Karmic balance restored again! :D

The rest of assembly was completed when I felt strong enough. Funny how at 35 years old I could take something like this apart and leave it six months and still remember where everything went, but at 55 I get something like digital drop out. Flu viruses don't help. :old: I finished the rest of it this morning before my MOT.

I had been too ill to go out and buy a new battery as planned, but indications were that I would be ok for now. Would you believe it..... after wheeling the thing out to ride to the test, the battery finally starts to baulk at the task. Fortunately it just managed to start and I got there ok. The tester was also just getting over the same bug. He wasn't worried about the battery and said he could give it a boost for my home run if required. We made it there and back with a new ticket! ;)

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2015 16:45 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
:yup: Good job

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2015 18:24 
Think Pink

Current ride: Awesome Ulysses & X1
:yup: :D

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2015 14:23 

I had a chance to actually ride my XB for a reasonable distance at last this week. :D

I purchased a new battery from HDMC. I had visions of having to also buy a new Oxford 'Maximiser', but for a faulty spare lead I had been using and intermittent LED the old one was now working perfectly during the initial top up charge of the new brick! (pays to check everything :roll: ).

On my short trip to the MOT it had been difficult to determine oil level as you need several miles for it to settle. Worth remembering that the return pipe sprays a jet of oil over the dip stick, which is why you have to stop and wipe then reinsert before reading. A dip with a long cable tie showed a healthy reservoir of oil just below the screw in measure. Whatever, 2.5 litres seemed to be a minimum after a full rebuild so I put a little extra in. I can suck some out if the level climbs too high.

In view of the above, I rode the thing gently and only peaked at 3500 revs at most once warm. I must say my XB feels like a new bike with the rebuild, new chassis bearings and new tyres, but without the slight buzzing shakes you get when the motors are newish. The whole bike also benefits from a thorough clean of everything while the engine is out.

The whole thing is smooth and effortless. That XB12R muffler gives the 9 some of the 12s deceptive feeling of power until gasses are up to speed. The internal decoke and clean by Maz obviously adding to the healthy motor. After 60 or so miles my new EBR disc felt nice and progressive, probably because it is both new and cooler running than the worn and dished 41k original. On my return and switch off the fan came on for the usual period, indicating that all was well........hopefully! ;)

Can't wait for the next sunny Sunday! 8-)

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2015 15:02 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
edd wrote:
I had a chance to actually ride my XB for a reasonable distance at last this week.

Surprised we didn't see you at AV8 today...

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2015 15:06 

pash wrote:
edd wrote:
I had a chance to actually ride my XB for a reasonable distance at last this week.

Surprised we didn't see you at AV8 today...

Sorry, I would loved to have been there, but for other pre-arrangements! :roll:

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015 16:11 

I suppose this thread has dragged on long enough and needs wrapping up soon so some credits are in order! ;)

The XB settled down to a consistent oil level this last week-end and seems to be running in (or out lOl ) nicely. The revs are climbing steadily, motor thrumming (muted growls) healthily as you wind on the throttle, and the whole plot feels so good to ride on a cool sunny Sunday! Shame I still can't post any pics yet! :roll:

Thanks again of course to Maz for restoring another 'bic bike motor' with all his knowledge, excellent work and very reasonable rates. :yup: Pash for his patience, time and advice with a few items (albeit after a breakfast or two :eat: ). Also for my nearby friend Jeff for the loan of heavyweight lifting and clamping devices. ;)

Long may it continue............and if the old XB doesn't go for long, it's still been a worthwhile trip! :worthy:

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015 16:13 

Doh! yes and of course thanks for the words of encouragement from others on here! ;)