It is currently 23 Apr 2024 15:18

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: How far in a day?
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010 17:08 
Wifey & I met the couple who run this place at the bike show & have booked to stay there for a week this summer - http://www.hochalmspitze.com

It's about 750 from Calais & there's no way that I can see us doing the whole trip in a day (she only passed her test last year & has a 620 Monster, so this'll be her first trip riding abroad).

I'm thinking that we should stick to the motorways & aim for Stuttgart on the first day (about 450 miles) & then have a relatively easy ride in on day 2 - Hoping that the first day wouldn't take more than 8 hours or so.

Any thoughts about whether I'm likely to be pushing her too hard on what's supposed to be a holiday...

Anyone know any decent biker-friendly hotels in the Stuttgart area?

Post subject: Re: How far in a day?
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010 19:23 
Nanny Brown

OK, female point of view.
Not being funny, but it depends on her age and confidence. I have been riding for about 3 years, and I would hesitate to ride 450 miles in a day!! I was thinking about doing the Ireland trip, but the daily mileage has put me off. I would be happier doing a maximum of 300 miles a day. I so wish I could do it, but I am not confident I could cope, so will have to give it a miss. I don't want to be a burden to the rest of the riders..... :(

A new rider will find excessive mileage a real strain as it takes a lot of concentration and is stressful, so are more likely to get tired quicker and then mistakes will start being made. Ask her how confident she feels and how many miles SHE would be happy to do in a day. Take your guidelines from her. If you push her too far, she will maybe panic or lose confidence which could ultimately put her off riding altogether.

Plan your trip around her capabilities, BUT don't make her feel that she is incompetent..... You WILL live to regret that...LOL

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010 22:21 

think it would be to much in one day. 300miles is fine if u want easy day but best to hav a list of places u can stay so if ur miss feels ok to do more u not tied to one place this is a nice camp site and roads are just ace http://www.upps.at/main/satellite.php?h ... d=1&seite= :yup:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010 10:32 

Current ride: Lots
Jill Brown wrote:
Plan your trip around her capabilities, BUT don't make her feel that she is incompetent.....

....but she is...... ;)

sumo wrote:
think it would be to much in one day. 300miles is fine if u want easy day but best to hav a list of places u can stay so if ur miss feels ok to do more u not tied to one place this is a nice camp site and roads are just ace http://www.upps.at/main/satellite.php?h ... d=1&seite= :yup:

Do I take it that English is not your first language?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010 11:15 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
OF wrote:

Hey OF, your new avatar is ready lOl

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010 11:22 
You have to agree on when to stop riding. Best is to start riding and see how it goes. 750 miles is a lot. However I managed to ride from the South of France to the Netherlands in 11 hours, while I was thinking it was impossible. It's all about turning a switch. Divide your trip in stages so you can focus on short stages (about 150 miles each?).... it's psychological. I drove to Poland on an old Honda Bol D'or 900 when I only had my license for barely two months. It costed me blood, sweat & tears and a lot of cursing, but it was all worth it.

Maybe it's too much for one day. 500 miles is just right. If you have time enough I recommend you do it in two days......At least it will bring your more fun and less cursing :yup:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010 11:57 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
I would say that biking experience as in length of time licence held and sex have nothing at all to do with riding abilities..................I know guys that have ridden for 30 years that still think 70 miles is a long way even on bikes like GSX1400 Suzukis......on the other hand Bel who some of you met with me in Whitby last year is a relatively new rider who thinks nothing of jumping on her 600 kawasaki and riding from near Grimsby across to wales just for a coffee with her sister and then home again the same afternoon...................I think a lot of it is down to mental attitude to the journey.
When we did JoGLe last May when we got to the finish i did ask the others who fancied just turning round and going back up again .............I didn't get any takers lOl but i would have loved to have done it both ways.
I think you should easily make that journey in two days if the raods are good and you don't have too many long tea breaks and sight seeing stops ;)

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010 14:38 
Milf Hunter

Current ride: '98 S1
kevmean wrote:
I would say that length and sex have nothing at all to do with abilities.......I know guys that think nothing of jumping on her and her sister and then home again the same afternoon...................I think a lot of it is down to mental attitude.
last May i did ask the others who fancied just turning round and going back up again .............I didn't get any takers lOl but i would have loved to have done it both ways. ;)

Sorry Kev, I couldn't resist. lOl lOl

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010 15:48 

Current ride: X1 2001
mojomick wrote:
kevmean wrote:
I would say that length and sex have nothing at all to do with abilities.......I know guys that think nothing of jumping on her and her sister and then home again the same afternoon...................I think a lot of it is down to mental attitude.
last May i did ask the others who fancied just turning round and going back up again .............I didn't get any takers lOl but i would have loved to have done it both ways. ;)

Sorry Kev, I couldn't resist. lOl lOl

:potm: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010 16:28 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Bastards lOl lOl lOl

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010 09:39 
OF wrote:

Oh the irony.
Martin, you've not met Sumo, have you? lOl lOl lOl

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010 16:17 

Current ride: XB12XT
Depends on the bike, the rider, the roads and the weather/temp.

I rode just over 200 miles in Ireland last year on an old 1978 BMW and it was a tough day keeping up with faster buddies etc - saying that 200 plus miles in Ireland is a good days riding if you're not doing main roads/motorways.

I think I'd aim for 400 or so and see how you felt - after lunch is the toughest - you're tired from the morning and then add some food etc.

120 plus miles between stops is tops on my older Honda's and BMWs...they need fuel and I need a stretch and a coffee - havent done any trip on the XT yet to see how that is.

Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010 18:46 

The body will feel very tired after eating. A big lunch is a mistake, snack on energy food throughout the day - nuts, bananas, chocolate, cheese etc.
The session after lunch on a trackday is called the 'Ambulance' session because the lunch brigade loose focus and bin their bikes.
I'm capable of falling off at any time of day lOl

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010 22:03 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
Get on your bikes, roll on out of there, and go have fun. Fcuk timetables and reservations. If you see a fookin' good restaurant and you want to stop over, someone there will help set you up to stay over. If you want to ride like crazy and get there straight away, hook up that feed-bag full of nuts and raisins and go. Just go and have fun, and pay attention to each other on the way. Be free. You are on bikes, after all.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010 12:50 

Current ride: YZF750R
Don't forget to factor in the Mileage to Folkstone when you do your calculations, especially as you lose an hour on the train. Remember to factor in milage and time for getting lost too. Stop every 100 miles or so to stretch your legs, fuel the bike and yourself with expresso and chocolate. 750 miles in a day is doable but it'll feel like a chore.