It is currently 29 Mar 2024 05:26

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 16:40 
Diggertours 2009 – Manx Grand Prix, Isle of Man

If coming from the British mainland, book your crossing for 11:30am Liverpool-Douglas, on Saturday 29th August 2009. Book your return crossing for 16:30 the following Saturday 5th September 2009 Douglas-Liverpool. IOMSP also sail from Dublin and Belfast.

We are staying at the Falcon’s Nest Hotel, Port Erin, and we have a local b&b earmarked in the event of overflow.

Manx Grand Prix race days are Monday, Wednesday & Friday. I will recommend a different viewing point for each day to ensure all first-timers have a varied experience, including bends, straights, and crests, provoking those wonderful high-speed wheelies. Image

I have arranged two full touring days to maximise the opportunity for first-time visitors to experience the island and all it has to offer. I will liaise with Manx Buelligans to meet up with them at every available opportunity.

For our first full day on the Island, I propose a lap of the circuit, which is an excellent way of spending a day, and learning exactly what the racers are faced with for the following week. Many of you will have studied videos of TT Racing over the years, but there is nothing quite like riding the course. Speed limits, of which there are now plenty, will be strictly adhered to, but the mountain section is, at the moment, unrestricted.

A dozen or so of us have booked already, and I know the hotel still has three double rooms available, so if you’re thinking of booking, do it now.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009 21:16 
Mr. Tourettes

hi JCB'...

I am well up for it....is everyone still there??

PS

times 'ar a bit 'ard out there

regardo's

Richie'o :D

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2009 14:44 
Oh yes, we're all still up for it, time to be paying the ferry balance now, folks... and for any who may have been thinking of it, the hotel might just be persuaded to flex their rates - they certainly weren't when we booked six months ago .....

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2009 14:46 
In fact, No 2 Image was only saying earlier this week that we should create a "BBWSC on Tour" T shirt, so I need to know exactly who's on the trip so we can look at the viability. 8-)

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2009 17:22 
Diggertours 2009 – Manx Grand Prix, Isle of Man

Well, I thought it might be time to give you an update on the arrangements, and a run-down of who might be taking part in this little jolly …

I’ve drawn up an informal agenda, all are welcome to follow all, some or none of it as you choose. So for those who are with us for the whole week ……

Saturday – ferry to Douglas – scoot down to Port Erin to check in, meet up with Three Legs Dave for a brew & a catch-up.

Sunday – Lap of the course – I’ll take us up to Ballacraine via some interesting roads to get the tyres warm ;) , then a lap at a suitable pace to allow for a variety of considerations including pillion wives, speed limits, traffic and other such annoyances.

Monday – RACE DAY, AND PRACTICE. Roads close at 0930, so it’s an early start & off to the Glen Helen section for the day. Bikes will be parked up all day, but there is the opportunity to walk to various spots for refreshments. First four-lap race at 1015 (Newcomers & Post-Classic combined), second race at 1315. Practice session from 1515 until 1620, after which the roads will open & we can please ourselves where we go.

Tuesday - “Diggertours Does the South” – An organised ride, with plenty of pre-arranged stops to meet up, taking in some of my favourite bits of the south of the Island. Ending up at the amazing nautical Museum at Castletown, which holds some very special secrets! An absolute must if you’ve never been.

Wednesday – RACE DAY AND PRACTICE. Roads will close at 0930 for the Junior Manx at 1015, followed by the Senior Classic at 1315. I thought we’d watch from the farm at Quarry Bends, where they have a barbecue……. One-lap practice session for senior, lightweight & ultrlaghtweight classes follows at 1515.

Thursday“Diggertours Does the Mountain” – a ride to the North of the island, through beautiful Tholt-y-Will to Laxey, where we can do the Mines Trail, see the Laxey Wheel & take a ride up Snaefell by mountain railway if it’s a clear day. If not, we can take the electric railway to either Douglas or Ramsey.

Friday – RACE DAY. Roads close at 0930 for the final races of the week, the lightweight/Ultralightweight at 1015, and finally the Senior Manx GP at 1315. All races are 4 laps. If the weather’s good, you might want to watch from the Bungalow or the Gooseneck, but by that time everyone will have a better idea of the course and of their preferred vantage point for the final races.

Evenings - Port Erin and nearby Castletown have plenty of good pubs and restaurants, and one or two very good ones. I know of another few dotted around the island in case anyone would like to arrange an evening ride out for a meal, but generally we’ll be doing our own thing, as we’ve all paid a fortune for the trip and everyone will have their own agenda.

Saturday – I’ll get us into Douglas in good time for a stroll about before the ferry.

So, first of all, who’s riding?

Both Guy Martin and Ryan Farquahar will be performing on 1981 Suzukis in the Post Classic.

Young Michael Dunlop, hero of the NW200 last year, is entered for the Junior.

… and biggest treat of all for classic bike aficionados, Alan Oversby has entered both 350 and 500 MVs in the Classic races. If you’ve never heard an MV on full song, you haven’t lived. 8-)

So, who will be in the Diggertours line-up?

My provisional list includes the following – it would be nice to know who’s confirmed, so we know exactly who to look out for on the ferry :D

Mr & Mrs Digger
Conquistador
Sheepy
Mr & Mrs Robin
Norm
Mich
Raiderfan
S1nner & pal
Dave from Scotland
Spook
Richie & pal
OF

DMcD will be in Douglas, and will meet up with us….

Also, unconfirmed interest from CJ & JJ, Flossy & Martin; go on you lot, you know you want to …… ;)

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2009 18:46 

Current ride: Lots
Here Sir!! except that I have been summoned for Jury service.....I have informed HMCS that attempting to stay awake whilst listening to whining scrotes attempting to justify their bad behaviour is a fairly distant someplace in the diary and that DT is preemininent in my yearly planning........looking forward to it! (fine for not showing up is about the same as the ferry fare anyway)....

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2009 20:24 

Current ride: 2 Buells + 3 Guzzis
Also, unconfirmed interest from CJ & JJ...

John - you have a PM.

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2009 20:50 

OF wrote:
Here Sir!! except that I have been summoned for Jury service.....I have informed HMCS that attempting to stay awake whilst listening to whining scrotes attempting to justify their bad behaviour is a fairly distant someplace in the diary and that DT is preemininent in my yearly planning........looking forward to it! (fine for not showing up is about the same as the ferry fare anyway)....

I get paid to listen to whining scroates all day :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009 10:47 

Current ride: Lots
Adam wrote:
OF wrote:

With the current economic climate in the aviation industry the Jury rates look quite attractive.....

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009 00:12 

I'll be arriving Sunday about 2pm, and returning early Thursday morning.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009 22:34 

Looking forward to it number one.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2009 13:53 

Yup, colours also firmly nailed to the mast of that ferry No.1 :sun:

Can't wait to hear Martin's (Conquistador) recycled jokes. :roll: :D

XB12R
S1 Lightning 'Maz'd'
X1 Millenium

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 08:17 
I won't be there, John, I'm afraid, although I'd dearly love to be. Work takes priority, though, I'm afraid.

Have a great time. it sounds like an awesome week...

Al

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009 08:20 
Raiderfan wrote:
Work takes priority, though, I'm afraid.
Al

Aah, the innocence of youth :)

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2009 15:29 
Adam wrote:
OF wrote:
......whilst listening to whining scrotes attempting to justify their bad behaviour is a fairly distant someplace in the diary and that DT is preemininent in my yearly planning........looking forward to it! (fine for not showing up is about the same as the ferry fare anyway)....

Has OF thought about 'subbing it out' to Adam?