It is currently 29 Mar 2024 01:57

All times are UTC

Post subject: Welsh roads
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009 13:29 
Me and a friend are planning 3/4 days away touring in wales. We want to be able to ride to a hostel dump our kit and then go off unimpeded. Any advice from anyone about this sort of trip, places to see/avoid in the valleys would be much appreciated. This is my first "long" trip on bikes so I'm really looking forward to it.

Post subject: Re: Welsh roads
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009 23:38 

Crimea Pass from Betws-y-Coed to Ffestiniog. Good open 100mph bends, excellent grippy tarmac.
Llamberis Pass, don't fall off - you will die.
Ogwen Valley, very fast again, well Policed, look out for park climbers/ramblers cars suddenly pulling out.
Nantlle Valley, slow scenic.
Llangynog to Bala, scenic, fast, poor surface, suicidal sheep.
Avoid the Horseshoe Pass, it's full of badly ridden Sports bikes that get in your way.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009 09:11 
Excellent stuff Adam cheers, just what I'm looking for. Any recommendations for bike friendly hostels/guesthouses?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009 09:53 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
I know a feckin big field you could stick a tent in!

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009 10:13 

:hehe:

Try the bunkhouse in Tremadog run by Eric Jones - he's one of the great unsung heros of Mountaineering (and my ultimate hero 8-) ) with many solo ascents under his belt ie Bonatti Pillar on the Dru - 25 years on it's still awaiting another solo, regarded by many as 'unjustifiable', Eiger N.Face etc, etc. He also dragged Messner and Habler down from near the summit of Everest when they became exhausted after the first ascent without artficial oxygen and later filmed a balloon flight over Everest by standing on a plank on the outside of the basket. This 75 year old still climbs but now gets his kicks BASE jumping. And most importantly, a thoroughly nice bloke who will always be first up to make a brew while you're still in your pit 8-)

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009 17:08 

Current ride: A black one
Try This

A great area especially Tregaron and The Elan Valley..............where the feckin English flooded valley communities and nicked our water..........but we are getting over it now :)

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2009 23:03 
The Nagged Hubby

I enjoyed the Lampeter road from the A40 and then on to Tregaron, tight n' twisty.
A482 and A485.
The A483 south from Newtown down to Llandovery is good too, will be dowing that tomorrow if any Buellers call in that cafe in Llandovery look for a falco with stubby cans on it and a yellow tt600 :yup:

Nate.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 07:25 
Will be at Llandovery at about 10:00 I will be on the Uly

Mark

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 16:32 
Thanks for the replies guys. Got our first hostel sorted, staying at the Corris Hostel in.....Corris :?

After that we're heading north. If anyone is out and around the north wales area Tuesday to Thursday let me know. Can't wait to get out there now. Weather isn't looking too shabby either :D :D :D

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009 17:34 

bench9 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. Got our first hostel sorted, staying at the Corris Hostel in.....Corris :?

After that we're heading north. If anyone is out and around the north wales area Tuesday to Thursday let me know. Can't wait to get out there now. Weather isn't looking too shabby either :D :D :D

Corris itself is situated on the Machynyleth to Dolgellau road, which itself is excellent. The road which branches off half way between the two takes you along side Talyllyn Lake. This also is excellent. Rode both of them this afternoon 8-) :yup:
If you take the coast road from Fairbourne, Towyn, Aberdovey, that's a corker too and it'll take you back to Corris.
In Corris itself you have King Arthurs Layrinth show mine and the Center for Alternative Technology, both worth a visit, although the latter is run by a lot of wooly minded educated Hippy types who will save the Planet with a windmill or two :roll: 8-) .
If you PM me your moby or the Hostel No., I may be able to get out and give the Ducati some exercise ;) :D

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009 15:27 
Just amazing. Some of the best roads I have ever ridden. Great weather. Great places. Breathtaking views. Just amazing. Can't wait to go back in October :)

Adam - sorry I didn't get a chance to PM you. My buddy arrived and we just set off. Spur of the moment, decided to go a day early. I'm definitely coming back again though.

Highlights - A4212, A548, A544, A543, B4501, B5105, A494, A542 (Horseshoe Pass), A493, A496, A4085, B4518

Many more to boot. Going to do the south next 8-) :D

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009 16:35 

bench9 wrote:
Just amazing. Some of the best roads I have ever ridden. Great weather. Great places. Breathtaking views. Just amazing. Can't wait to go back in October :)

Adam - sorry I didn't get a chance to PM you. My buddy arrived and we just set off. Spur of the moment, decided to go a day early. I'm definitely coming back again though.

Highlights - A4212, A548, A544, A543, B4501, B5105, A494, A542 (Horseshoe Pass), A493, A496, A4085, B4518

Many more to boot. Going to do the south next 8-) :D

No probs 8-) Out of them all, the (v.popular) Horseshoe Pass is about the worst :lol:
Did you find the gorge near the H/Pass, it's like a mini Cheddar Gorge with no traffic, good surface but the bends tighten on themselves. There's plenty of witness marks on the cliff walls :lol:
Glad you enjoyed it 8-)

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009 21:37 
Dammit, must've missed that gorge. It's another excuse to go back though. My favourites were probably the A548 (early doors, zero traffic), the A4212 (not one other vehicle on it the whole way) and the B4518 (our first real blat into the hills, still with luggage, sunset, slowly making our way to Corris for the first night). Just can't get over it....and the bike behaved itself to boot!

Uploading some snaps to photobucket now so I'll ping some up when they're done :D

Good times

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009 21:41 

I'd like to see your photos 8-)

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009 22:36 
As requested