It is currently 20 Apr 2024 08:46

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014 21:36 

Current ride: 2 Buells + 3 Guzzis
A bit of advance warning for fellow Buell and aeronautical enthusiasts, we're planning a UKBEG meet sometime in August or September at the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre (LAHC) East Kirkby, where we hold Em's Day every year. The date has still to be announced but as soon as we know we'll confirm it here.

If there's enough interest we'll organise a Buell enthusiasts parking area near the control tower so UKBEG members can be part of a very special event which will feature three Avro Lancaster bombers :P :P :P .....

LAHC web site: http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk

Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum web site:
http://www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum will be flying their prized Avro Lancaster to England this August for a month long visit. The Lancaster will join the only other air worthy Lancaster in the world, owned and operated by the Royal Air Force's renowned Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF), and participate in several events and activities.

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Lancaster will depart from Hamilton, Ontario on August 4th and plan to arrive in England on August 8th. The North Atlantic crossing will include en-route stops at Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada, Narsarsuaq, Greenland, and Keflavik, Iceland, prior to arriving at the BBMF, RAF Coningsby. Shortly after arriving, the Lancaster will undergo a scheduled maintenance inspection and then the Canadian crews will complete a short training program with the BBMF in preparation to participate in several air displays and fly pasts with the BBMF Lancaster and fighters starting on August 14th.

A full schedule will be released in the future that will provide details about visiting us including stops at Coningsby and Humberside, flypasts including Middleton St. George and East Kirkby as well as other special events being planned. Last updated: June 11, 2014.

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014 21:43 
Sounds Awesome, hopefully I won't get lost this time.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2014 23:19 

Current ride: Buell XB12
I just hope they get the UK flying Lanc fettled for all of this, she sounded as rough as a bears arse yesterday and I heard she had to have emergency treatment whilst in France last week! Poor old thing.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014 06:01 

Current ride: Can-Am V-twin
It's so sad that no one thought to preserve any of these at the end of the war. I suppose that everyone wanted to forget Bomber Command's role in the war and these would have been an unwelcome reminder! Not even a medal for those brave boys, just a clasp and even that when most of them were already dead - a real scandal!!!

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014 12:06 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
Fat Crip wrote:
It's so sad that no one thought to preserve any of these at the end of the war. I suppose that everyone wanted to forget Bomber Command's role in the war and these would have been an unwelcome reminder! Not even a medal for those brave boys, just a clasp and even that when most of them were already dead - a real scandal!!!

:yt:
And it's not just WWII warbirds that are thin on the ground (well, thin in the air...) There is only one member of the 'V' Force still flying, Vulcan XH558... a reminder of the 100% effective Nuclear Deterrent that it provided (along with Victors and Valiants) during the Cold War. The Vulcan was the replacement for the Lancaster ( :shock: ) serving from 1956 until 1982. XH558 is only flying now due to private funding and will sadly be grounded after 2015. As a Nation, we should preserve our proud heritage, 'lest we forget'... :worthy:
But this thread is about the Lancaster, wonderful to hear about this Reunion Tour, Chris. I overheard that 'Just Jane' probably won't ever fly due to the revenue she makes from just doing taxi-runs... is that true?

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014 13:02 

Their ultimate ambition is to get Just Jane flying again, all the engines have air worthiness certificates and I believe it's just a question of raising enough money to have work done on the main spar etc.

Working on the basis that you can never be too organised, this morning I've booked space for UKBEG near the control tower. LAHC say the event will take place in late August or early September.

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014 15:57 

Current ride: Buell XB12
THey have been fettling her at Coningsby today, after a few good revs and bit more tinkering they were confident enough to take her up.....She sounds a lot better and is still flying as I type this!

I bet it was the second hand Spanish engine giving trouble ;)

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014 16:23 

CJ wrote:
Their ultimate ambition is to get Just Jane flying again, all the engines have air worthiness certificates and I believe it's just a question of raising enough money to have work done on the main spar etc.

Working on the basis that you can never be too organised, this morning I've booked space for UKBEG near the control tower. LAHC say the event will take place in late August or early September.

There's a ME 108 (twin seater) on a grass strip near me with a rotten mainspar and the owner told me it would cost in excess of £180k to get a new one made :shock: It's recently been converted to cartridge start after the owner got tired of winding up the inertia starter lOl

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014 18:07 

Adam wrote:
CJ wrote:

There's a ME 108 (twin seater) on a grass strip near me with a rotten mainspar and the owner told me it would cost in excess of £180k to get a new one made :shock: It's recently been converted to cartridge start after the owner got tired of winding up the inertia starter lOl

Thought it would have been easy to wind up. :shock: Start you rotten schwein! :D

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014 22:13 

The date has been announced for this event - Tuesday 2nd September.

Event details: http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/events/S ... asters.htm

It's a ticket only event limited to 5,000. Price TBC. I'll post further details when known.

Let me know if you'd like to attend so I can advise LAHC how many motorcycles they can expect in UKBEG's dedicated parking area near the control tower.

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2014 05:56 

Tickets for this special event go on sale at 9.00am this morning:

Adult- £20.00
Senior- £20.00
Child (10-15yrs)- £10.00
Under 10'S free
Silver Supporters Association Member- £15.00
Gold Supporters Association Member- free

When the link goes live you can buy tickets through this event page: http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/events/S ... asters.htm

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2014 09:13 

Sorted :dance:

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/store/ev ... asters.htm

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2014 16:38 

This event has now 'sold out until further notice': http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/events/S ... asters.htm

I'm not sure if LAHC will make some extra tickets available so I'll leave this topic up until we know what's happening regarding additional UKBEG members and the parking area I've reserved.

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2014 21:33 

Current ride: Xb12r
Bugger! Meant to book tickets when I got back from the Mot but forgot :(

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2014 06:29 

Current ride: 2009 XB12Scg Black
Not certain on my mode of transport yet but I'll be there.

Thanks for the heads up.