It is currently 18 Apr 2024 21:54

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009 10:41 

So anyone on here attending the 3 day event starting (tomorrow) 3rd of July ????

In the past a few have arranged to bump into each other around a rough time to say hi if about. I will be there both Friday and Saturday so say hi if you see us, I will probably have my camera glued to my eye so unless in shot its pointless just waving :D :D

Will definitly be looking out for the bloodhound 1k landspeed car mock up and Peter Fonda on the Capt America replica (belive their will be 2 CA bikes there), the bowler wild cats experience is always a blast but get there early for that one if thats your thing. Will be looking out for J lenno and Clarkeson will be about to. The rally stages are good though one hell of a walk. For those who have not been before allow around an hr to walk from one end of the site to the other.

If about and want any advise or anything (this is my 7th visit) give us a call / text 07719774702

Looks like a brilliant weekend and a little cooler to. :sun:
Have fun.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009 20:48 
A grey tide eel

Give Clarkson a slap will you.

Piaggio X8 400ie
Yamaha XTZ750 Super Tenere (x2)
Suzuki GSXR750WR
BSA B441VS
FJR1300

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009 21:26 

Good bloke is Clarkson. Writes a good column in the press 8-)

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009 21:57 

He has opinions which he is not afraid of sharing. Sadly, many people are not used to getting that sort of stuff from the press these days and vilify him for it.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009 23:40 
A grey tide eel

I am afraid that his opinions on motorcycles are what get to me. Although he did try them in that vietnam special they did. Now I did laugh when he fell off but he gamely got straight back on.

Piaggio X8 400ie
Yamaha XTZ750 Super Tenere (x2)
Suzuki GSXR750WR
BSA B441VS
FJR1300

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009 21:54 
Had a fabulous day there today. Highlights were seeing John Surtees on the MV (how old is that guy, he must be over 80 - well sure looked it), Mick Doohan, Leon Haslam, Phil Read, Sammy Miller, Trevor Nation, Peter Fonda and some blokes that drive cars including Mark Webber (far too tall for a racing driver), Pedro Del La Rosa, Timo Glock, Jackie Stewart and of course Mr Moss....all within touching distance. Took over 500 photos....wow.

Saw the Buell/HD stand....Hmmmmm. 1 Uly, 1 CityX and the 1125CR...didn't loiter long.

But a truly wonderful day for all petrol heads. The smells and sounds are still with me, Castrol R really is better than Chanel No5...........and for me, nothing beats the sound of that MV 500 - hairs on the back of the neck still bristling.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009 23:21 
Nanny Brown

You are such lucky b*st*rds getting tickets. Sold out too quickly for me. I have never been but so wish I had. Glad you all had a great time though. Weather stayed good too... added bonus. :D

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009 08:46 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I had a good day too, didn't recognise anyone really, except of course Mr Mirman...

I enjoyed the 500 ex GP bikes caning it up the hill. Couldn't help but notice that most of the riders were filling out theit leathers.

Also saw this amazing post WWI Hispano Suiza car (hidden in a tunnel in WWII to protect it from the Germans):

Image Image

And the tank and Lady Penelope's car from Whacky Racers:

Image Image

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009 21:14 

Mrs Peel wrote:
Had a fabulous day there today. Highlights were seeing John Surtees on the MV (how old is that guy, he must be over 80 - well sure looked it), Mick Doohan, Leon Haslam, Phil Read, Sammy Miller, Trevor Nation, Peter Fonda and some blokes that drive cars including Mark Webber (far too tall for a racing driver), Pedro Del La Rosa, Timo Glock, Jackie Stewart and of course Mr Moss....all within touching distance. Took over 500 photos....wow.

Saw the Buell/HD stand....Hmmmmm. 1 Uly, 1 CityX and the 1125CR...didn't loiter long.

But a truly wonderful day for all petrol heads. The smells and sounds are still with me, Castrol R really is better than Chanel No5...........and for me, nothing beats the sound of that MV 500 - hairs on the back of the neck still bristling.

Get up to Deliverance pt2. I have a crate of Castrol R you could baste yourself with ;) :oooops: :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009 09:20 
pash wrote:
....... and Lady Penelope's car from Whacky Racers:

:?
That must have been after she retired from active service with International Rescue, then, unless of course, you mean Penelope Pitstop, the lesser-known sibling of the lovely Pandora…… Image

That Hispano Suiza is beautiful. 8-)

Had a great day at the Festival of Speed for my 40th, Bon Jovi at Wembley on Saturday night, Goodwood all day Sunday. I've got some pics somewhere...... 8-)

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009 09:40 

A great 2 days spent clicking away, Peter Fonda has not changed riding a Captain America Bike up the hill, how many watts were those speakers on top Goodwood house pumping out playing born to be wild as he rode by???

On Saturday manged to photgraph Sandra Bullock (Wife of Jesse James, who had his Trophy Truck there) as she went about with a group of minders (who were activly stopping people taking photos of her).

Also managed to get some shots of a electric supercar just before somebody noticed that it was not for general public eyes but for a select few and had bought it out without its covers. Frantic shouting and running around before they got them over the car quicker than the guys at Wimbledon on centre court in a rain shower . .

Good to catch up with you Plash, its a massive event and to be honest this year only covered the bottom third of the show (did not get to the top finish area or rally stages). The Nissan R type display was a useful stopping of point as all tea coffee juices and cookies, biscuits were free all weekend, plus a nice free hard back book and other goodies.

Met Richard Noble and Andy Green (who signed my JCB landspeed pictures that I had made), F1 cars were not that inspiring this year, perhaps seen them too many times now, great to see some dohnuts by the rally guys.

My mate was jammy, on Sunday he stayed to late, walked past the house, Lord March went in and jokingly turned and said anyone want to join me for champagne? He turned and followed him in with some others and had champagne with him . . .

Really a cracking event, 1 day is good, 2 days are better but make 3 if you can there is so much to see. The Audi complex was huge, all that for just 3 days, brilliant.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009 10:21 

And therein lies the rub. I went every year from '93 to 2000 and it was fantastic. Lord March invited all the peeps on the "track" and nothing was closed off. It was all about the hill back then, and having some fun. Now it's just another chance for the corporate hostility machines to roll out their hardware. I can't imagine that the soapbox challenge would fit in with the Style et Luxe concours, Nissan R display or "Audi complex".

To be blunt, I used to go for the cars and couldn't give less of a fuck about seeing Sandra Bollocks, Andy Green or Richard Noble. Give me a chance to talk to them, yeah, just like it was 10 years ago but to spend hours queuing to take a photo or get a signature, no thanks, my testicles have dropped now and that doesn't do anything for me. Minders to stop people taking photos? Give me a freaking break!

The idea of having a car there that was not meant for public viewing goes against everything that Goodwood was about.

I liked MrsP's report, that was a reminder of the way it used to be but we were sat at the edge, walking through the woods as the cars flew past, helping the people prep the cars before their runs, it was about the petrol-heads. From what I understand, you can't even get to see most of the track now unless you have your head up some corporate tosser's arse.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009 11:54 

Agree Norm that the corporate giants have taken over a lot of land, restricted access to what were some good vantage points and it does annoy that very few actually get out and watch the track and probably some (not all) would struggle to tell the difference between a milk float and a F1 car.

It is still a petrol head event for petrol heads, the access to the pits, the vast range of machinery, the sound the smell (hmmm Castrol R like Ms P said, do miss that wiff up the high st . . .), The organisers have a fine balance I suppose to get the books to balance and any corporate input is welcomed no doubt but just hope that since the Goodwood team passed the running over to another company that they still keep a firm finger on the pulse and have some say/control over numbers etc. (why so many pushchairs this year, they were everywhere!!!!).

As for Mr Noble and Green, we are Landspeed enthusiasts and to meet and to be allowed to chat openly with 2 of the modern British landspeed heroes was a treat not to be missed, would you not liked to have met Campbell if he had still been with us? Or Parry Thomas or Seagrave? Mr Green signed and commented on some images I had made of his JCB car in a salt lake background (he then signed them).

Lets hope the event stays an event for the people and it continues for many years we would miss it in any form if we never had it on our door step.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2009 23:24 

Bloody typical, I haven't been here for a while, but I usually ask if anyones going, and I don't usually get much response. This year everyone went! (Nearly.)lol :?
We went again and camped at Arundel. Bloody good three days as usual, Peter Fonda was great, coming across as a fantastic guy.
Jesse James' Trophy Truck was amazing, and he had the run of the hill, rally stage and the Bowler course, linked with a big jump.
We saw and photographed pretty much everything, and the weather was good.
Shame we didn't see anyone, I even wore my Buell LE JoG t shirt on Fri just in case............ 8-)
We didn't buy a thing this year, although, the F1 Honda rear wheel was tempting........at £75! :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009 22:04 

Shame we did not see you Lands, though I did see late on Saturday a guy walking around with that rear wheel you mentioned . . . apparently they make a great coffee table once you insert glass into one end of them. Long walk back to the car park carrying one of those.