It is currently 29 Mar 2024 01:52

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2009 22:27 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
Have a nice calm trip across the channel. I hope time and weather permits to have a visit here at saturday :D

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009 11:28 
gunter wrote:
Have a nice calm trip across the channel.

Real men don't use the Channel, Gunter 8-)

Have a great trip, everyone - sorry we can't join you this year :|

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009 14:54 

Every participant of this event succeeded in reaching the destination safe and sound. The selection of motorbikes was quite surprising ;) The UKBEG rain gear test team also spared no expense and proves fully capable now to participate in discussions about monsoonlike rainfalls and their impact on motorbiking, helpfull landladies and tumble-heated gloves. :lol:

I spent a very pleasant time with you and safely got home. The hotel was fine, all people there very kind and helpfull. :yup: I whish you a safe trip back home and we hopefully meet again next year.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009 15:35 
gunter wrote:
Every participant of this event succeeded in reaching the destination safe and sound. The selection of motorbikes was quite surprising ;)

Come on Gunter, spill the beans... I'm imagining scenes of CJ turning up on a Vespa 90 here, help me!! :o

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009 19:10 

Sorry, can't get the bluetooth of my PC working, so you will have to wait for the release of CJ's official pictures ...

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2009 13:32 

Current ride: 2 Buells + 3 Guzzis
We've had a cracking 5 days on the continent - pictures and a proper write-up to follow in due course :yup:....

We must thank Gunter for his help and guidance on Saturday's tour around the Black Forest. It's a good job he was riding a Buell :lol:..

I used my Guzzi 1100 for the trip. In my defence the Ulysses would have been well over 20,000 miles by the time I got back so it had a well deserved rest.

We looked after (Big) Phil as instructed. It's OK, Claire, he hasn't wasted away...

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009 00:54 

:clap: Thanks again Chris for your organisation skills and your uncanny ability to read a map whilst travelling in torential rain, it was a shame that my navigation system got itself lost :headbang:

For those of you that didn't make it you missed out on a fantastic 6 days, and as Chris will tell you later, several banana splits :D :D

Not to forget Jane who is soley responsible for major repairs being required to the tileing and structural integrety of one or two tunnels on out journey. :worthy:

And finaly to put the rumours to bed once and for all, Chris does have a wallet, yes it does open and yes he does know how to go to the bar and buy a round :yup:

:clap: :clap:

Gunther, I enjoyed our ride out together despite the shower or two we sustained on our route, I do hope your tom tom has had time to dry out and is now functioning again. It was great to meet you and I look forwards to seeing you again next year under more favourable weather conditions, I will remember your quote for future events ( We're not lost I just dont know where we are at the moment ) Good riding my friend see you next year. :yup:

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009 08:33 

Bigphil wrote:
( We're not lost I just dont know where we are at the moment )

:lol: :lol:

I managed to get home well and kept off the autobahn completely; a very scenic ride including some sightseeing in Heidelberg (lovely town, have to visit it again soon). The passage through Schenkenzell was closed, but the rerouting turned out to be one of the most stunning roads I've ever ridden.

The gps nav didn't start again yet, the battery is empty and the power supply/charging unit seems not to work any more, as it had been quite wet when I opened the device, but I didn't put much effort in chasing after the error. I will look for a defective one with a broken display to part it.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009 00:32 

:yup: Good luck with the tom tom Gunter may be you can get your hands on a damaged mark two unit and pair it up with your old bits. I suppose that will make it a tom tom 1.5, with a bit of luck it will always know where you are even if it doesn't know where you are going :rofl:

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009 13:52 

Current ride: 2 Buells + 3 Guzzis
Better late than never, a 'few' words and pictures about the 2009 UKBEG German Weekend....

As mentioned earlier I was in Buell enthusiast mode rather than Buell rider mode. There was one Buell present - Gunter travelled down from Frankfurt on his Firebolt to stop Friday and Saturday night with us.

From England there was myself - Guzzi 1100, Jane - Guzzi 750, and Phil - Kawasaki 1400GTR. A bit of a mismatch in terms of performance but Phil didn't seem to mind our more 'relaxed' pace. We did suggest he remove two HT caps to level the playing field but for some reason this didn't appeal.

Jane and I covered 1,566 miles in total, door to door. The 440 miles from Rotterdam to Schenkenzell, the small village where the Hotel Waldblick is located, was a bit of a slog in one day, but we were prepared for it. At least the Dutch and German main road networks allow you to cover long distances in a reasonable amount of time.

The Hotel Waldblick was superb, with friendly staff, excellent facilities and delicious food. We can highly recommend it you're ever in the area.

In terms of numbers present it wasn't as successful as last years UKBEG trip to the Mosel region but that didn't stop the three of us from having a great time. The Black Forest has to be one of the very best motorcycling regions in Germany and it didn't disappoint. Despite the heat and occasional thunderstorms we made the most of everyday. Over a three day period we covered approximately 580 miles riding around the area.

Gunter very kindly planned a route for Saturday's tour but things didn't quite go according to plan. Rain had been forecast for the morning but the intensity of it took us by surprise. We were prepared with waterproofs etc. but the deluge had to be seen to be believed. It was the worst rain I've ever ridden in. The route included a lot of minor roads and when Gunter's Tom Tom GPS gave up the ghost the tour had to be cut short. The scenery, when we could see it through the low clouds, was outstanding and in overall terms the chosen route was excellent. The minor roads were mostly in good repair but by their very nature had areas of gravel and irregular surfaces. They certainly concentrated the mind as we rode along in monsoon like conditions. Using a shorter route we headed for the planned lunch stop at a biker friendly restaurant located near a lake. The landlady was glad to see four very soggy motorcyclists. Business had been very slow that morning because of the bad weather and she looked a bit bored. She placed our soaking wet gloves in a tumble dryer and the rest of our wet riding gear in a drying room.

During lunch the weather improved and it became very warm again. Because of Gunter's GPS failure we resorted to traditional maps for the rest of the afternoon. Gunter and Phil used a different route back to Schenkenzell and this is when Gunter made his hilarious 'I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am at the moment' comment. One doesn't like to brag but 'Team Moto Guzzi' bet both of them back to the Hotel Waldblick by at least half an hour.

Despite all of the above, we must thank Gunter for the tour and the effort he put into the planning of it. It was a great adventure and at least at the end of it we were all smiling and still in one piece.

Gunter left for home after breakfast on Sunday and then the three of us spent the rest of that day and Monday on 'CJ Tours' of the Black Forest. I know the area pretty well and my chosen routes worked a treat. You really are spoilt for choice in that area. Well maintained mountain roads with very little traffic equals miles of smiles....

My favourite route is the B294 - B33 - B500 from Freudenstadt to Waldstrut on the Swiss border. I also threw in a mixture of unclassified roads for good measure. In the immediate vicinity of Schenkenzell there's four long tunnels on the route which takes you through Schiltach, Hornberg and Triberg. Jane's Guzzi is fitted with after-market Mistral silencers and when we rode through the tunnels she couldn't resist opening it up and treating Phil, who usually rode behind her, to a cacophony of V-twin noise. The little hooligan - don't you just love her :P...

The ride back to Rotterdam on Tuesday was uneventful and completed in good weather.

All being well, we will organise another UKBEG Weekend sur-le-continent in 2010 - we rather fancy the area around Gap, in the French Alps, or perhaps Germany again. Decisions, decisions...

The Hotel Waldblick...

Gunter with his Firebolt...

Fellow guests at the Waldblick - all riding custom/classic BMW twins...

Sunday's 'CJ Tour' lunch stop...

High in the mountains on the B500...

Near the Swiss border on the B500...

Heading towards another thunderstorm, again on the B500...

BOTT race machine at Europe's largest Moto Guzzi dealer, Teo Lamers, Nijmegan, Holland...

Spotted on the Tuesday night ferry to Hull, a well used M2 Cyclone with standard airbox.

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009 17:53 

CJ wrote:
Gunter with his Firebolt...

Blimey!
Do all Buellers look the same the world over? ;)

Come to think of it, he looks a lot like my late Father-in-law, who happened to be stationed in Germany for many years.......

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009 17:59 

thorkill the tall wrote:
Do all Buellers look the same the world over? ;)

:shut: :shut: :shut:

:sad1:

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009 18:24 

thorkill the tall wrote:
he looks a lot like my late Father-in-law, who happened to be stationed in Germany for many years.......

O yes, thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed: the LATE ... :evil: :evil: :evil: