It is currently 18 Apr 2024 17:55

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 15:28 

Hi all...I have been sniffing around for a while....decided to jump in and test the waters!

I am considering a new bike and the Ullyses is in the top two...
Now I know it's hard...but put all your predjudices to one side and help out if you can...

I commute 50 mile round trip daily ..year round.. accross London from SE to NW
What can I expect from the Buell?...mpg? and Range on 17 litres?...reliability?..How does the finish hold up?

Any known issues I could resolve with a new/newish bike to save any "side of the road" problems?

I noticed someone said They are "High maintenance"...but worth it..?

I test rode an Ully 3 years ago...unfortunately in the rain...(Liked it but couldn't get the finances right)....but what are the changes since then?

Sorry lots of Q's but I know it pays to ask the "experts"....!!!!

Many thanks in advance
Bob

Last edited by BuellBob on 11 Jun 2009 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 15:50 

Current ride: Uly and two Nortons
BuellBob wrote:
Hi all...I have been sniffing around for a while....decided to jump in and test the waters!

I am considering a new bike and the Ullyses is in the top two...
Now I know it's hard...but put all your predjudices to one side and help out if you can...

I commute 50 mile round trip daily ..year round.. accross London from SE to NW
What can I expect from the Buell?...mpg?...reliability?..How does the finish hold up?

Any known issues I could resolve with a new/newish bike to save any "side of the road" problems?

I noticed someone said They are "High maintenance"...but worth it..?

I test rode an Ully 3 years ago...unfortunately in the rain...(Liked it but couldn't get the finances right)....but what are the changes since then?

Sorry lots of Q's but I know it pays to ask the "experts"....!!!!

Many thanks in advance
Bob

Glad you're 'in' now, it's a marvellous place! WELCOME

What's the other option as the Buell is in the top two?
I reckon about 45 to 50 mpg for a Uly, that's based on what my XB12R and S1 do approximately......
I would budget some pennies for a free spirits belt tensioner at the least, plus as many other mods as you see fit really but TBH that's the same with any bike, there's always bits you change as and when funds allow.
Oh, if you;'re commuting then a R/H air scoop would be a good investment too.

Servicing costs are possibly a bit higher than some other bikes, but if you check out who does it for you (ie properly) then all should be fine. Also book states 5000 service intervals but to keep everything sweet it's very very good practice to do the oil and filter yourself at the 2500 mark.

Have fun on the site and get one bought!!

Cheers

Pat

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 16:49 

Thanks Pat...

I currently own an Aprilia Caponord ...What can I say.....I like "Quirky"

Have been looking at the Moto Guzzi Stelvio and Aprilia Dorsoduro...among others
(KTM 990 BMW 800)

I Commute all year and try to get away on the bike at least twice a year...just got back from 6 days on the continent....Calais-Lyon-Monaco-Aix-Lourdes-Bilbao..
So some luggage capacity and autoroute comfort would be good.....

Any feedback would be good...I know my Aprilia Forum has been worth its weight in gold...looks like you Buellisters are in the know!

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 20:05 
Buells aren't high maintenance harleys aint high maintenace full stop~ they don't go fast enuf to wear anything out. XB's on the other hand just self destruct bit like laptops there disposable motorcycles ha ha. The ully is feckin ugly so whats yer other choice? riding a non neutral S :roll: get an X1 the best of Buell the best of harleys money. Oh and keep the buell as a toy and get a jap bike for work transport be even less maintenance then :clap:

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 21:56 
Site Admin

:yt:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 22:08 
has it got a pulse?

Current ride: FUBAR...Enough said!
Don't confuse high maintenance with frequent repair bills :!:
The XB range is known to have a few issues, however if you can live with them, it seems most owners love them.
to give you an idea.......
1. expect to change wheel bearings with tyres
2. Treat the gearbox carefully-no clutchless shifting and be gentle going up or down the box. (however, they have still been known to go-VERY EXPENSIVE FIX)
3. change engine and G/.box oil every 2500miles
HTH

You only need two bikes in life-an S1 and a Multistrada!

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009 22:29 

Only had my 57 reg Uly for a few weeks - I bought it 2nd hand with 4900 miles on it.

Will you enjoy riding it? - Yes, its a hoot to ride, good handling, plenty of usable power, excellent front brake. I particularly enjoy not having to worry about potholes ( because of the long travel suspension) which you may find useful commuting into 'the smoke'. Seat is high, you need to have long legs to ride with confidence.

Fuel consumption - I have been getting around 50 mpg, sensible riding but using the acceleration/torque. I use the high octane Shell fuel, the engine runs smoother on it.

Reliability - only had it a short time so not really qualified to comment. But from previous experience (30+years), if you look after your bike, it will look after you.