It is currently 24 Apr 2024 09:27

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 09:00 
bench9 wrote:
Lucky - the aftermarket pipe looks very nice btw. Any pictures of the whole bike?

As Mr Lucky is busy keeping the economy running sweetly, I'll oblige with the pic you need.

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 09:36 
:rofl:

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 10:35 

Current ride: Mojo
bench9 wrote:
Lucky - the aftermarket pipe looks very nice btw. Any pictures of the whole bike?

PM for you bench to avoid the attention of the Philistines. :D

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 11:29 

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009 13:21 

Hello again people, thanks for your responses!

The only thing I can see myself changing would be the exhaust.. everything else looks pretty sweet as standard to me!

I can handle simple servicing like changing oil and oil filters.. but not doing stuff with the forks.. so with this in hand, is there any more servicing to be done? and how much would the 10k service cost if i change the oil and filters myself?

Does the belt tensioner go every few miles or is this an extra part to make it better?

I too would like to know what sorta things are likely to go wrong on a new XBS9X every few miles or so!??

thanks in advance again :)

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 00:35 

Current ride: XB9R
Hi Snail,

I bought my XB (a 9R) as soon as they came out and I love it.

If you really want to know what goes wrong:

1) the drive belts do snap (whatever the dealer tells you). (You have to balance the grief of this against the continual oiling / adjusting / replacing a conventional chain.) Treating the belt badly will hasten the inevitable - don't take the bike to a tyre dealer to replace the tyres unless you know that they understand the "XB issue" (better yet, remove the wheels yourself and just take them to the tyre place).

2) the wheel bearings will collapse, regularly. All bikes eventually eat wheel bearings, but XBs can easily destroy them in 5K miles.

3) as has been said, the standard exhaust will rust rapidly. Camcoat under warranty or replace.

4) the tickover adjustment cable will seize up unless you lube / adjust it very regularly. If you're lucky, lubing the front of the cable will free it. If not, it gets a bit more complicated.

5) remove the reflectors from the front forks as your No. 1 priority job as soon as you get the bike (I didn't and I sufferred the consequences!)

6) don't believe the specified torque setting for the gearbox oil drain bolt - its wrong!! Do the bolt up until it feels right.

7) the front discs can warp, but if your's starts feeling wrong, it could well be just a build up of pad material from the front pads. Try cleaning the disc with brake cleaner and wire wool before buying a new disc (and replace the pads).

8) the original "belt tensioner" doesn't work. A Free Spirits conversion (see the "how to" section) is a pretty much standard modification. Even then, you'll be changing the bearings in the 'jocky wheel' every 10K or so.

9) the axles will seize to the swinging arm / fork legs. Its worth removing / lubing them every couple of weeks, as it can be expensive otherwise.

On your other query, the big cost on the 10K (or 15K) service is the fork strip. Just doing your own oil / filter change won't really impact on the cost (although it all helps).

HTH,

Dave

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 09:35 
Great post Dave, helps a lot to bring all of the known issues together, even if it has now made me a little nervous about owning my first Buell :? I understand most of the points just wondered why the reflectors was an issue?
Dave from Scotland wrote:
5) remove the reflectors from the front forks as your No. 1 priority job as soon as you get the bike (I didn't and I sufferred the consequences!)

Dave

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 09:49 

bench9 wrote:
... even if it has now made me a little nervous about owning my first Buell :?

Really? That would be sad because (shoot, I get tired writing this) it assumes that no other bikes have any issues. Buells might be worse than most but the reality is that means that 8 in 10 Hondas are fine whereas it is "only" 7 in 10 Buells. Not a huge difference, IMO, and not enough to be missing out on the hoot that is Buelling. If you want a domestic appliance, get something from the East and share a wrily ironic smile if it does go wrong.

The biggest difference you might find between a Buell and another brand is UKBEG, so you'll know what the possible issues are in advance rather than thinking all bikes are perfect.

Such as the reflectors. It has been claimed here that the reflectors used on new Buells are not only of dodgy quality but they mean Buells as standard do not comply with the new vehicle regulations in this country. I don't know enough to know whether that's true but I trust the people who have said it.

More definite, though, is that the reflectors are backed by sponges which will suck up any moisture and salt and hold it against your fork legs. After a year or two, your fork legs will be trashed.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 11:56 

Don't worry about the belt, they generally last much longer than a chain. Have you seen the price of a quality chain recently?
Additionally, a broken belt won't smash your cases, sever your femural artery, etc, etc :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 21:20 
Norm wrote:
bench9 wrote:
... even if it has now made me a little nervous about owning my first Buell :?

Really? That would be sad because (shoot, I get tired writing this) it assumes that no other bikes have any issues. Buells might be worse than most but the reality is that means that 8 in 10 Hondas are fine whereas it is "only" 7 in 10 Buells. Not a huge difference, IMO, and not enough to be missing out on the hoot that is Buelling. If you want a domestic appliance, get something from the East and share a wrily ironic smile if it does go wrong.

The biggest difference you might find between a Buell and another brand is UKBEG, so you'll know what the possible issues are in advance rather than thinking all bikes are perfect.

Such as the reflectors. It has been claimed here that the reflectors used on new Buells are not only of dodgy quality but they mean Buells as standard do not comply with the new vehicle regulations in this country. I don't know enough to know whether that's true but I trust the people who have said it.

More definite, though, is that the reflectors are backed by sponges which will suck up any moisture and salt and hold it against your fork legs. After a year or two, your fork legs will be trashed.

Although I don't count myself as an official UKBEG member yet (I will post in the "New Members" section when I pick up the Buell) everybody on this site seems very friendly and helpful and it gives me confidence to know that if I have any problems with the bike I reckon I could solve them by asking on here. I'm not too worried about the issues that people have listed about the bike so far and have definitely not been put off. In fact I don't think I've ever been as excited about getting a bike as much as this before. I still can't get the test ride out of my head :D

I guess a hairdryer would sort the reflector removal?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 21:24 

bench9 wrote:

Yes, although probably not even that much is required. 8-)

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 21:27 

Current ride: 2000 x1
bench9 wrote:
Although I don't count myself as an official UKBEG member yet

Too late Bench you've checked in and posted there is no escape now :twisted:

Oh and welcome by the way ;) :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 09:05 
bench9 wrote:

Although I don't count myself as an official UKBEG member yet ........

.............I guess a hairdryer would sort the reflector removal?

Yes, I follow your train of thought.... 8-)

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009 11:12 
Norm wrote:
bench9 wrote:

Yes, although probably not even that much is required. 8-)

You're not wrong, just a bit of working back and forth and the hairdryer was hardly required at all. Hopefully nothing else on the bike comes off as easily :shock: