It is currently 29 Mar 2024 14:58

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 16 May 2009 14:24 

Went on the Buell Experience Day at Castle Combe on Monday, never been on a track before and really enjoyed it. We also got to have a road ride (about 10 miles) and a bit off off road on a Ulysses which I loved. So I have just bought one - pick it up next Wednesday. So quite an expensive day really. Will keep you posted.

PostPosted: 16 May 2009 18:29 

Hi and welcome. Enjoy the site, it's a great time filler when it's too horrible to ride out there :)

PostPosted: 16 May 2009 19:45 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
Do you ever feel you've been groomed :D
Welcome and watch that Roz she'll be hitching a lift on that there Ully before you know it.
(She's a bike wrecking speeding crim ya know) ;)

PostPosted: 16 May 2009 21:40 

Welcome phillh

Had my Uly nearly a year now, love it :D

Its good to Torque

PostPosted: 16 May 2009 23:20 
Hope is an orange one :yup:

Have mine 15 months and still make me grin every time I ride it

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 18:09 
Had my XT 3 months love it! welcome :D

PostPosted: 18 May 2009 00:13 

I rode one just over two years ago, bought one, still best, (grin inducing) bike I've ever owned.
:lol:
P.S. I was also at Castle Combe, good wasn't it!

PostPosted: 18 May 2009 13:21 

deepsix wrote:
Do you ever feel you've been groomed :D
Welcome and watch that Roz she'll be hitching a lift on that there Ully before you know it.
(She's a bike wrecking speeding crim ya know) ;)

:shock: Moi????? Never.

Ambles off whistling nonchalantly.......

PostPosted: 22 May 2009 19:38 

Thanks for the welcome. I picked the bike up from Wales on Wednesday and rode it 135 miles home. Its a 57 plate, 4900 miles in yellow/orange.

My thoughts so far:-

Engine powerful with loads of torque. Performance and handling excellent. Good fuel consumption. A really exciting and fun bike to ride.

Rear brake lacks power, will check it out (in time).

Engine vibey below 2500rpm, smooths out above this. Really annoying rattle at low revs from fairing, thought it was the screen at first but not so sure now. Will investigate further.

Have ordered plugs and filters for DIY service. Is there any service info on this site?

Many thanks......................PhillH

PostPosted: 22 May 2009 20:19 

Hi Philh,
You sound like you love your bike already 8-)
Let's sort it out........

Your rear brake is made 'crap' from new. All the XB's have a soft rear brake due to the short wheelbase and strong front brake. It's so you don't lock up the rear and lose control.

The noise from the front screen is the horn vibrating inside the fairing. This is extremely irritating, so my fix was to remove the screen, (just pulls off), remove the front cover and look for away of altering the horns position. You can try bending the bracket, but in the end, I drilled the horns' bracket halfway between the horn and existing hole, (to change the vibe frequency), turned it round and 90 degrees up or down, (to make it fit back in the fairing). Anyway you get the idea.....

By 'vibey engine' do you mean poor low speed control, or just 'thumpy'? If it doesn't get better, or gets worse, you may need to carry out the 'TPS HARD RESET' in the 'How to' section on the forum.

As you are new at this Buell lark, you will find that they are reasonably high maintenance, but the Uly will reward you in spades with it's 'I can do anything' design. :D

As for doing your own maintenance, you will need quality tools of the AF/Imperial type, Spanners, Sockets, Allen keys and a good set of Torx's bits-make sure you get a T27 for the bodywork, this one is normally separate from boxed sets. You will also need a torque wrench for tightening wheels in particular, if you can afford one get one that does left-hand tightening for the front wheel.

One other thing you will need for diagnostics and various operations is a downloadable software called 'ECMSpy' you will need a cable to connect your bike to a laptop. If you do some searching on here you will find out how to sort it out.

Anyway, good luck with the bike, and don't be shy with any questions! ;)

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 13:26 
Lands End
Thanks for your response to philh
Good info useful to me as well.
:app: