It is currently 25 Apr 2024 03:01

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009 19:03 

Hi from Gravesend to all you fellow Buell owners

Winter approaches and, unfortunately, my MoT, and it's proving a challenge to renew it. I have a 1997 Cyclone, a personal import a year ago from Sunny Kalifornia, engine KS56V320059, Royal Blue. It's great fun but VERY lively on the bends, and problems increase dramatically if I generously offer to give a lift to anyone rash enough to accept. I have been told categorically by a couple of professional engineers that the rear suspension needs serious attention (that's not exactly what they said - I paraphrase to keep within the profanity rules of this website). However, there are no obvious dents, fractures or distortions, and I am not made of money, so I figured to first take the unit to a qualifed rebuilder, if I can find one in Kent / Essex area. The unit is an early Showa Mark I - enclosed spring, 17 inches long rather than the later 15.5 inch one fitted from 99 onwards. I think it has shot an oil seal or two and probably needs re-gassing then setting up by someone who empathises with it. Hagons say they dont touch them cos they work the wrong way round - any recommendations? Any advice, information and leads gratefully received. Mick21

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009 19:12 
Site Admin

Shock is not rebuildable....many companies have tried and failed miserably, dont waste ya dosh.

The shock you have is/was subject to a safety recall and theoretically you are still entitled to a free replacement.....if you have a good dealer, ask them to do battle with Dick Woodworth at Buell UK.

Otherwise, save your pennies and buy an AST :idea:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009 19:51 

As :maz: says, however, as a 3rd alternative you may also be able to find a cheap new shock (new type) on eBay in the US. I got one for £130 delivered, including custom's charges, which was brilliant. So have a look there, it's well worth the custom's charges. BTW, make sure you measure your shock and that the distance between the eyelids is correct. If you buy a new shock but have the old front mounting you will have to change that too!

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009 19:53 

I've had a Buell shock 'reconditioned' and like Maz says, it's a complete and utter waste of money.
Legally, you're entitled to a new shock from Buell but they'll do their utmost to wriggle out of it, you really wouldn't believe the aggro I had getting one.

Dig deep and buy an AST shock, you really wouldn't believe the difference, they're worth every penny 8-)

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009 11:26 
someone (bodged) a white power onto mine and it's next to useless
feel like renaming me bike tigger its so effin bouncy