It is currently 25 Apr 2024 15:44

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hi to one and to all
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009 20:03 

hello to all from deepest yorkshire
new to this site and to Buell but not new to bikes.
I have a terrible dilema that i hope some of you can help me with. I am up for a new bike next spring. i had a test ride on an ULY XT a couple of weeks ago and even though i have tried a tiger1050 and a new thunderbird i just cant get the uly out of my head. I had a good test run and its the best bike i have ridden for a long long time> A modern bike with heart character and soul.
My dilema is this....I use a bike for commuting scratching, bimbles and two up touring (with lots of kit) and in buying new (or nearly new) I will be stuck for at least 3-5 years. What i need to know is can the Uly cut the mustard yes i know it handles well i reckon it should carry well too but will do all this & be reliable? will it fire up in the depths of winter for the journey home in the dark, or will i be calling the AA to take me home? My heart really wants this motor but my wallet needs something reliable and the dilema is driving me mad :headbang:
heres hoping you can help chaps
and heres thanking you in anticipation
regards Dave

Post subject: Re: Hi to one and to all
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009 20:40 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
If you keep it services and up together, no reason why it wouldn't. Buells are enthusiasts machines and do require more attention than your average Jap machine, but the rewards you get are x10

Welcome to UKBEG :yup:

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009 20:46 
helle Dave...

Is there such a thing as a totally reliable bike..??

I commute in all weathers...i've had BMW, Yamaha, Kwaks...they've all had there minor niggles....

I know on here some of the early XB's get a slating...i think early owners were used as testers :lol:

I've got an 07 Uly..s'been no probs in 4.5k...across to europe n back, comfy as a comfy thing, turning 55mpg fully laden..

i know in the eyes of the purists :maz: it's not seen as a real Buell and their probably right..but i'm happy.

The reason i bought one was, when i turned up at harley world, Chesvegas (not far from you) there was a bloke who turned up on an xb12r..a right dog eared looking thing..he had done 37k with only the wheel bearings giving him problemo's.

My TDM had bearings at 22k and my mates Kwak zzr1200 at 11k...my BMW blew its reg at 24k.....need i go on.

To be fair there aint much to go wrong and if your a fair turn of the spanner they are easy peasy to wok on and as far as i'm concerned leaves a grin as wide as a wide thing after riding....

Find a well sorted pampered example ...and enjoy :yup:

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009 21:01 

Current ride: 2000 x1
Hi Dave welcome to UKBEG 8-) Why not have a bimble up to Squires tomorrow evening and meet some of the northern monkeys there. Rick and myself will be there with our Uly, also CJ and JJ with theirs and usually del with his. You can pick a few brains then (well what brains we have before any of the others say it) ;) :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009 21:10 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
Hello!
Sounds like the XT will do what you want and need, and if you keep the battery strong (on a trickle charger) through the winter, your starts will stay strong. Also, at temps below 40 deg. F, Buell recommend switching to 10W40 oil for best starts, from the otherwise standard 20W50.
Enjoy!

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009 21:39 

Current ride: X1 2001
Hi Dave welcome to the site , its your money so..

buy the one yer wife tells you :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009 21:47 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
asda160 wrote:

i know in the eyes of the purists :maz: it's not seen as a real Buell and their probably right..but i'm happy.

The man talks sense .... if you find any you like the look of, you can always post back for opinions ... that's something this place is never short of!

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009 08:28 

Well thanks for the fantastic response folks :clap:
asda160 wrote:
helle Dave...

I commute in all weathers...i've had BMW, Yamaha, Kwaks...they've all had there minor niggles....I agree! and the ZRX i had last winter had niggles on more than 1 occasion, but that bike was 12 years old and still always made it home :D

I know on here some of the early XB's get a slating...i think early owners were used as testers :lol: Now thats what im talking about :( even today when you talk to folk the buel gets a slating. up to press all of the folk ive spoken to haven't owned one so i dont really listen but i do believe the problems of old were well deserved

I've got an 07 Uly..s'been no probs in 4.5k...across to europe n back, comfy as a comfy thing, turning 55mpg fully laden..
the more i rode the test bike the more fun it was. It had a few issues double vision when sat at a junction, (which i actually thought was an endearing feature :D ) snatchy throttle at low speed (but i reckon that could be tuned out) overall the bike was amazing true character and felt like it had a soul of its own

i know in the eyes of the purists :maz: it's not seen as a real Buell and their probably right..but i'm happy. Why not?? the proper uly is the one i want!!

The reason i bought one was, when i turned up at harley world, Chesvegas (not far from you) there was a bloke who turned up on an xb12r..a right dog eared looking thing..he had done 37k with only the wheel bearings giving him problemo's.

My TDM had bearings at 22k and my mates Kwak zzr1200 at 11k...my BMW blew its reg at 24k.....need i go on.

To be fair there aint much to go wrong and if your a fair turn of the spanner they are easy peasy to wok on and as far as i'm concerned leaves a grin as wide as a wide thing after riding....

I can wield a spanner well enough and it will be good to get my hands black again. thanks again folks i can feel a strong urge for my house to have a new pet Buell :D

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009 08:37 
Welcome Dave - like you, I have to make one bike do everything - Sunday bimbles, days when I have to let it off the lead & find my limits again, week-long two-up tours, shopping(!) trips, hooligan moments, gentle moments. I'd long ago given up my M2 as it wouldn't stay the pace on the fast days. I've played with a jap IL4 & a 748R, but I came back to the fold as soon as Buell built the bike to tick all my boxes. 8700+ miles done now, with not a moment's worry. Get down to Black Bear and get your name on an XT this weekend 8-)

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009 08:41 

where the hell is black bear??? :D tried the XT out assuming there is no difference (apart from cosmetics) with the X like the look of the X better

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009 08:44 
Black Bear, fellow Yorkshire chum, is our local Buell dealer.
They're in Newmarket :D
The X is a bit of s...tretch for those of a more modest inside leg measurement :P

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009 08:55 

Ah I see :D I used St Ledger Harley at Doncaster only about 8 miles from me. I had the bike for a good few hours (didnt want to give it back) and it meant i could use my own test track twisties, town, motorway, fast A's and more twisties its a good test of any bike

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009 09:42 
Agreed, but it's not a good test of a dealer. ;)
Others may come along later with their experiences of St Leger, and probably of Black Bear. :D

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009 09:48 

Current ride: 2000 x1
davech42 wrote:
Ah I see :D I used St Ledger Harley at Doncaster only about 8 miles from me. I had the bike for a good few hours (didnt want to give it back) and it meant i could use my own test track twisties, town, motorway, fast A's and more twisties its a good test of any bike

St Leger :uhoh: :couch: :shut:

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009 09:51 
Mornin' Tigs ... thought I might see you or Rick here to comment before long ..... :lol: