It is currently 19 Apr 2024 15:16

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: New to the Buell world
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 03:55 

Some people say I’m mad, some people say that’s different for I’ve just traded in my CBR1000RR 05 for XB9XS City 09 & yes a completely different machine, the downside was that the bike came without an owner’s handbook as told by the dealer that these have to be ordered in?
Now surfing to see what the best mods are for this bike, you can certainly lean it over & it’s great now getting a better view of the road ahead but can’t get used to that thump, thump under me!!
Look forward to scrolling through the posts in the forum & no doubt will pick up some good ideas & comments.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 04:23 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
Congratulations!

djcity wrote:
Some people say I’m mad

You aren't mad if you're happy!
djcity wrote:
the bike came without an owner’s handbook as told by the dealer that these have to be ordered in?

try the buell U.S. website, on the "owners" tab - owner's manuals are available online (need your VIN to register). Look soon - important "running in" info, and initial maintenance to be done:
The First 500 Miles (800 Kilometers)

The sound design, quality materials, and workmanship that are built into your new Buell motorcycle will give you optimum performance right from the start.

To allow your engine to wear in its critical parts, we recommend that you observe the riding rules provided below for the first 500 miles 800 kilometers . Adhering to these suggestions will help to assure good future durability and performance.

1. During the first 50 miles 80 kilometers of riding, keep the engine speed below 4000 RPM in any gear. Do not lug the engine by running or accelerating at very low RPM, or by running at high RPM longer than needed for shifting or passing.
2. Up to 500 miles 800 kilometers , vary the engine speed and avoid operating at any steady engine speed for long periods. Engine speed up to 5000 RPM in any gear is permissible.
3. Drive slowly and avoid fast starts at wide open throttle until the engine has warmed up.
4. Avoid lugging the engine by not running the engine at very low speeds in higher gears.
5. Avoid hard braking. New brakes need to be broken-in by moderate use for the first 200 miles 300 kilometers .

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009 13:23 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Welcome DJ

Head over to the Buell and Tech sections of the forum, there is a wealth of info on what your needing in there ... and if you cant find it just ask :)

Nice bike :yup:

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009 05:56 

Many thanks for the comments, I'm stuck in a Dubai shipyard at the moment & don't the VN # to log onto the US site but hopefully the owners manual will be waiting for me when I get home.
As I thought some very interesting comments & views in the forum & also noticed some horror stories ie belt tension pulley & wheel brgs breaking up, drive belts breaking, muffler rusting which is sometimes nice to know so that you are aware of some faults like all machinery but then are able to pay close attention to these parts so hopefully it does not catch you out.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009 16:23 
Welcome DJcity, Lowestoft wow that exhaust will rust quick in the sea air !!! my exhaust started showing signs of just first week when i was out in the rain but dont let it put you off its a great bike :yup:

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009 17:11 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
djcity wrote:
I'm stuck in a Dubai shipyard at the moment

Not far from me then :P You're not on a rig are you :?:

Oh yes hello :yup:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009 05:26 

Bonzo wrote:
djcity wrote:
I'm stuck in a Dubai shipyard at the moment

Not far from me then :P You're not on a rig are you :?:

Oh yes hello :yup:
Yes that's right stuck on a rig in Sharjah can only dream of riding my new bike at the moment!!

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009 05:30 

[quote="HLZBells"]Welcome DJcity, Lowestoft wow that exhaust will rust quick in the sea air !!! my exhaust started showing signs of just first week when i was out in the rain but dont let it put you off its a great bike

Best I get a tin of red lead & paint it before the rust starts!!
Surely this is covered under the warranty if it starts to rust?