It is currently 20 Apr 2024 15:29

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020 08:47 

Current ride: 1125RK
Hello to all,
while beeing a Bueller isn't easy these days i still love these bikes. Therefore i rebuild my 1125 for i think the 25th time and here it is for 2020. On the pic the exhaust is still missing. After using modified stock muffler w/o cat aso. i now use the new style gpr. With the right map it is working very well.
Other mods are 1190 Triple clamp, rear suspension, airbox, monocoque, fairing aso.

Attachments:
Screenshot_20200427-094457_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200427-094457_Video Player.jpg [ 691.66 KiB | Viewed 39538 times ]
IMG-20181014-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20181014-WA0013.jpg [ 445.37 KiB | Viewed 39538 times ]
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020 10:18 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Kc1701 wrote:
Hello to all,
while beeing a Bueller isn't easy these days i still love these bikes. Therefore i rebuild my 1125 for i think the 25th time and here it is for 2020. On the pic the exhaust is still missing. After using modified stock muffler w/o cat aso. i now use the new style gpr. With the right map it is working very well.
Other mods are 1190 Triple clamp, rear suspension, airbox, monocoque, fairing aso.

Hi Kc1701,
Great to see pics of another very nice 1125r.
Full fairing is really nice with the long belly pan design, much better than the Factory Buell ones in my opinion (which if you're lucky is all you can find).
Where's the seat unit from? I like the look of that with it's open design, I'm guessing that really improves air flow from the rear of the engine? Not sure about the seat pad though, looks rather minimal for my skinny ass.
Why have you fitted the 1190 triple clamp?
What's the GPR exhaust like, IE. Where does it improve torque or power?
Does the rear shock improve feel? All I can feel with my standard one is bumps, can't feel what the tyre is doing or anything no matter how I adjust it. Same with the front actually, it all works fine but lacks "road feel" all round.
Your bike is looking great. All the best & keep on modding. A man after my own heart. JB.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020 11:11 

Hello JB,
thanks for your warm welcome to me.
I used the EBR triple because it look quite nice and i use BKG handle bars. And as i raised the front i used the ebr rear suspension because it is 30mm longer. Now i have more clearance even with the bellypan and much more agility.
The monocoque tankcover, seat and rear section is handmade. I use a shortend ebr magnesium rear frame. I made a "batterybox" on my own to store battery and all electrical parts as well as the rearshock container and to ensure an underpressure to coolen the rearcylinder. By the way the bike is passively cooled. I have no fans but i use cooling wind from the inside to the outside with extra airflow from the inside fairings. I modified them to do so.
I personelly think the oem exhaust is one of the best for the 1125 but to heavy. And of course there is no sound at all. That is why i always modified them but they are still to heavy. The GPR is not that good at low rpm but you can compensate with the right mapping. Above it is mor torque an hp up to 6hp. So i think the GPR is a good alternative. Less weight, more sound and no loss in the middle but some more on higher rpms. And i think it is one of the better looking aftermarket exhausts ;-)
Best regards
Sacha

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020 11:51 

Kc1701 wrote:
Hello JB,
thanks for your warm welcome to me.
I used the EBR triple because it look quite nice and i use BKG handle bars. And as i raised the front i used the ebr rear suspension because it is 30mm longer. Now i have more clearance even with the bellypan and much more agility.
The monocoque tankcover, seat and rear section is handmade. I use a shortend ebr magnesium rear frame. I made a "batterybox" on my own to store battery and all electrical parts as well as the rearshock container and to ensure an underpressure to coolen the rearcylinder. By the way the bike is passively cooled. I have no fans but i use cooling wind from the inside to the outside with extra airflow from the inside fairings. I modified them to do so.
I personelly think the oem exhaust is one of the best for the 1125 but to heavy. And of course there is no sound at all. That is why i always modified them but they are still to heavy. The GPR is not that good at low rpm but you can compensate with the right mapping. Above it is mor torque an hp up to 6hp. So i think the GPR is a good alternative. Less weight, more sound and no loss in the middle but some more on higher rpms. And i think it is one of the better looking aftermarket exhausts ;-)
Best regards
Sacha

Hi Sacha,
Like your idea with the fairing cooling, I guess that works well with the open rear end which will cause a vacuum behind the rear cylinder & draw air through the frame. Nice idea, I'd be interested in pics of how you manipulated the air flow inside the fairing.
When you say agility, is that because the rear end is lifted a little & puts weight to the front? Does it make a difference to "feel", as in can you feel the tyres when you ride?
How much did you raise the forks?
I agree that the OEM exhaust is pretty good power wise (although a bit stifling & very heavy).
I went with the Torque Hammer 2 Exhaust from Twin Motorcycles, it has gains all round & no negatives with their stage one tune on my ECM.
I also have a Remus which is pretty good for road riding (very smooth at low revs) but put the power way up the power band, good for top speed but still a little stifled.
Personal taste with exhaust looks, guaranteed performance was my main concern.
Sorry about all the questions Sacha, I'm just really interested.
You take care now & stay safe in these corona virus infested days.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020 13:07 

Hello Paul,
i heard the torque hammer 2 is a very good exhaust but loud as hell. That's why i looked up for a tecklegun or hpe but these ones are hard to find and as expensive as a hole bike ;-)
And in fact they are not better than other aftermarket exhausts.
Indeed there is a feelable difference in highering the back. As i said the rear is 30mm higher and the front 15 and it is, for me, the perfect solution.
Regarding heating issues first way is to stop growing and keeping the heat inside the frame. So it is important to let the engine breath "cold" air instead of the upheated air from the radiotors. Then a improved airflow inside the frame. I made a new wiring harness to have enough clearance for airflow and with the open rear with a tear off edge or call it some kind of winglet i draw the air out.
The fairings are also modified with a bigger tear off edge. So this also draws warm air out by the outside pressure.
I really enjoy answering any kind of questions, so don't worry. And if there is something about my english that you do not understand or is even wrong...just say it.

Wishing you also the very best in these corona times and hope you and your family ate okay.

Sacha

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020 16:00 

Hi Sacha,
The Torque Hammer 2 isn't that loud with a decent tune on it.
It's interesting that you say the feel is different with lifting the rear, I may give that a try.
Regarding the heating issues, you're speaking to the converted here, I've been trying different things to get rid of the heat since I got this 1125r. I finally fitted another fan in front of the radiator fans to push cold air up & over the cylinder heads & through the frame.
Nice one with the wiring harness to allow more air through the frame, tear off edges/winglets are also a great idea to create vacuums and aid air flow.
I'm still working on a way to open the rear up, that's why I was interested in your seat unit.
Your English is really good & it's great to talk to someone who's modding an 1125r.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2020 12:47 

What kind of engine temperatures are you fellas finding unacceptable? I've never had a heat related issue with my trackday 1125. My Ducati 1198 runs considerably hotter than the 1125, and again, that's never been an issue either.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2020 13:58 

Hi Adam,
I find anything over 84 degrees unacceptable with my bike as starts to sounds like a rucksack full of spanners on a joggers back.
It runs great between 72-76 degrees so I try to keep it around that, the extra fan gets clicked on before I stop at lights or when I'm in traffic as the temp will go to 86+ without.
The Radiator fans don't help as they just blow more hot air over the engine & it can't really get out of the back of the frame without heating everything to unacceptable levels on the way, including the rear frame frame members & hence the petrol. This is my reason for opening the rear up like Sacha has with his, to let the hot air escape. He's done a cracking job to be honest but f****d if I'm spending a shitload on a tank seat unit, new rear end & fairing to do it.
I'm already working on a similar method of drawing the air through the frame by causing vacuums & altering the under seat unit to facilitate an exit for the hot air.
Not a great cooling design by Buell in my opinion, which I've voiced on occasions before, not helped by the fuel being in the frame & the rear cylinder head being tucked up inside it, hence the major blockage for air flow.
Just as an aside, the exhaust & tune have made a big difference on heat build up on mine, probably because it's getting the correct fueling at long last and isn't running piss weak.
Aprilia got the radiator design right with the Mille, so did EBR after a while.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020 20:43 

Here are some pics. I have to look on my hdd for the pics from the rebuild.
Cooling temp is about 75 degree at 30 degree outside temp but goes up to 90 in the city with all the stop and go.

Attachments:
20200429_164044-01-01_resize_52.jpg
20200429_164044-01-01_resize_52.jpg [ 671.24 KiB | Viewed 39422 times ]
20200429_163959-01-01_resize_70.jpg
20200429_163959-01-01_resize_70.jpg [ 870.76 KiB | Viewed 39422 times ]
20200429_163947-01-01_resize_96.jpg
20200429_163947-01-01_resize_96.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 39422 times ]
20200429_164032-01_resize_60.jpg
20200429_164032-01_resize_60.jpg [ 818.01 KiB | Viewed 39422 times ]
20200429_164113-01_resize_56.jpg
20200429_164113-01_resize_56.jpg [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 39422 times ]
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020 21:21 

Hi Sacha,

Nice to see some more pics, gives me a much better idea of what you've done.

I'm sure everything works fine as it is and I'm pretty sure you've already thought of this but could you fit the fans on the radiators so they exit through the fairing vents? "like they do on a mille".

Yeah temps are similar on mine if I don't use the extra fan, still trying to work out where to fit one on the rear end to help suck the cold air from the extra fan through the frame more efficiently (and draw the hot air from the rear header out the frame without it hitting the two main frame cross braces (petrol tank) at the rear of the frame. Thinking of making some shields for those with the fan fitted on the end to keep them cool whilst drawing the heat away but we'll see.

I can see also why it's a bit more agile as the steering is more direct with the rear lifted. I'm definitely giving that a try. Does the 1190 shocker fit straight on without any hassle?

I just need a CR belt now as I have all the other parts to fit CR gearing on mine. That should make for a nice surprise with the acceleration.

Thanks for sharing the pics & ideas Sacha.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2020 23:12 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Looks a sweet 1125 Sacha !

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020 08:18 

Current ride: X1 2001
:sun: welcome back to the forum Sacha :sun:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020 09:53 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
I'm sure everything works fine as it is and I'm pretty sure you've already thought of this but could you fit the fans on the radiators so they exit through the fairing vents? "like they do on a mille".
I just need a CR belt now as I have all the other parts to fit CR gearing on mine. That should make for a nice surprise with the acceleration.

All the best Paul.

Hi Paul, good to hear from you. And that is a good suggestion.
I still have not found any fans that fit to the fairing. All previous ones build too deep and stand out of the fairing which looks quite ugly.
But i am still looking for such a solution.

So you will use the longer CR Swingarm aso for better acceleration? I already thought about that but the effort was too big for me. There are just hardly any parts here in Germany but if I really have the chance to get a CR swingarm I will probably take it.

Best regards
Sacha

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020 09:54 

Thanks Ohsteveo and Nutah

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020 12:08 

Kc1701 wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

All the best Paul.

Hi Paul, good to hear from you. And that is a good suggestion.
I still have not found any fans that fit to the fairing. All previous ones build too deep and stand out of the fairing which looks quite ugly.
But i am still looking for such a solution.

So you will use the longer CR Swingarm aso for better acceleration? I already thought about that but the effort was too big for me. There are just hardly any parts here in Germany but if I really have the chance to get a CR swingarm I will probably take it.

Best regards
Sacha

Hi Sacha,
Have a look at these They're what I've used, only 48mm thick And you can cut the mounts down or make new ones. You will be able to get them cheaper if you search well enough on Ebay, I got two for £27.00 but the Ebay dealer isn't trading anymore.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112mmx48mm-E ... SwdSRZ8Ury

I fitted the front one here (see Pic) & used the original fan mountings to hold the brackets.
You could mount one at the rear of the frame to draw air through as well, if you manage this let me know as I've been looking for a place to mount one there for months.

Yes I'm going to use the CR swingarm, it's actually 1/4 of an inch shorter than the standard R Version, (I've been informed, I haven't measured them), you also need the CR left side footpeg bracket & Cr Tensioner pulley bracket, (tensioner wheel is the same) & of course a CR belt to complete the conversion. I'm having more trouble getting a belt than I did the swingarm. All parts are difficult to source but I have all of them still on alert so will forward any I come across to you by PM if that's ok.

Attachments:
Fan.jpg
Fan.jpg [ 749.27 KiB | Viewed 39387 times ]