It is currently 19 Apr 2024 11:23

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019 04:34 

Current ride: Buell XB12Ss
Hi, All
I've been riding bikes since 1959 and have a 2007 Buell XB12Ss which I bought new. Now on 96,000km.
It's set up as a day-ride bike but it has luggage and has done some one-up touring.
The only failures have been a throttle cable and a dulled headlight unit.
The Buell may not be the 'best', bike I've had but it's up there with the most enjoyable. Basically I love the thing - at speeds over 70km/h!
Graham

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019 04:48 

Current ride: Buell XB12Ss

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019 08:14 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
GrahamNZ wrote:
Hi, All
The Buell may not be the 'best', bike I've had but it's up there with the most enjoyable. Basically I love the thing - at speeds over 70km/h!
Graham

Welcome Graham, that pretty much sums Buells up. NZ must ba great place to be a biker. Doesn't the Buell scare the sheep away though?? :coat:

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019 08:54 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
welcome Graham :yup:
also an xb owner but it's an X ulysses
Glad to hear they are reliable and good for a few miles, some of them Tuber riders refer to the xb’s as like a disposable razor use once and throw away ,guess they are only jealous really :ner:

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2019 17:47 

Current ride: X1 2001
:mrgreen: welcome to the club
NZ looks a riders paradise :sun:

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019 05:55 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
Welcome Graham.

Another 4k and you can throw your Buell a party.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2020 11:53 

Heading over there in March, hiring bikes and touring for a few weeks. Your country looks amazing!

2004 Monster S4R
Wilier La Triestina

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2020 20:59 

conquistador wrote:
Heading over there in March, hiring bikes and touring for a few weeks. Your country looks amazing!

Nice one. Good month to tour. Watch the speed, unmarked cops are everywhere. Prepare for all the seasons in one day lOl

Guided or self planned?

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2020 21:32 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
Welcome to the madhouse Graham. You've pretty much summed up Buells. Not always perfect but when they are they're one of the best handling bikes going. Love my 12s and how it rides. Whilst the S1 doesn't ride the same every time I look at it I can't think of a better looking bike, it's a keeper. :yup:

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2020 09:37 

Kiwi wrote:
conquistador wrote:

Nice one. Good month to tour. Watch the speed, unmarked cops are everywhere. Prepare for all the seasons in one day lOl

Thanks for the speeding tip, the stunning scenery will probably keep our speed down. Mostly self guided with a lot of tips from a NZ biker.

2004 Monster S4R
Wilier La Triestina

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2020 20:00 

conquistador wrote:
Mostly self guided

Very easy country to do self planned, its long and skinny and not as many roads to choose from like Europe or even UK.

I'm sure your NZ friend will steer you right. I'm a north islander and a little biased but the yes the south island is motorcycle heaven and there is nobody there!

Stay away from Auckland if possible but a ride to the top tip of the north is worth it (Cape Reinga). When you come back down, a ride around the Coromandel Peninsula is well worth the effort. Its coastal and winding. A night there could be pretty cool too as its quite old fashioned and the little towns are like what we grew up with.

As a geothermal country there are numerous places to have a hot dip (don't put your head under), stiles at a farm fence leading to a hole dug into the field are not uncommon, especially if you acquire local knowledge. But a big fav while you're in Taupo (you'll go through Taupo, its hard to avoid and worth the ride through around the impressive crater lake) is De Bretts. You walk down into a valley and is best at night for the whole atmosphere (steam and ferns). https://www.taupodebretts.co.nz/hot-pools/outdoor-pools

I'm from the Hawkes Bay but spent a little time in the Waikato and a hot pool experience you will not usually see on the tourist literature is Te Aroha Mineral Pools. At the bottom of mount Te Aroha (translates: Mountain of love) and fed from a spring the soda water filled wooden tubs are out of this world. If you have your better half with you I can recommend this for a divert. https://www.mpdc.govt.nz/our-facilities ... neral-spas. Te Aroha is a cool little farming town with 2 pubs and quirky B&Bs too.

Next day you could roar over the ranges along the Mamaku (steep, winding and fast with passing lanes, watch for coppers) into Mount Maunganui. Or you could ride the northern route from Te Aroha going through Paeroa and the Karangahake gorge (very scenic and winding but you can get caught behind slower vehicles). When I was a local it was very popular to do the whole circuit, about 4 hours. Mount Maunganui is worth a visit, lovely beach and loads of restaurants for all budgets, it can get packed with tourists but you'll have no problems parking bikes near you. Walk up the mountain for a leg stretch, about 45 minutes, medium+ fitness. View is exceptional. This is the Bay of Plenty as named by Captain Cook. https://www.bayofplentynz.com/things-to ... k-15043221

Hawkes Bay has lots of wineries if you're into all that. A favourite thing to do when living there was a ride up Te Mata peak for and outstanding view of the Plains on a fine day.
https://www.newzealand.com/uk/feature/te-mata-peak/
I can recommend this if you're passing the Bay, which you should, the west of the island is just forest, bush, volcanoes and desert road. I am biased.
Mount Taranki and the other volcanes (Ruapehu and Ngauruhoe) in the West are impressive from the road....But its all a bit out of the road on your route South to heaven. If you do take that route, look at staying in Ohakune and taking the sky Waka up the volcanoe. This is a new thing, I've not done it but heard its excellent. Ohakune is the Queenstown of the north with many less humans (Queenstown 20,000...Ohakune 1,000 pop.)

Take lots of money as everything is more expensive than the UK these days. Use Airbnb.

NZ is a very Harley country, highest ownership per capita in the world apparently. The majority of HD riders won't wave, don't take offence, its just the way we were brought up lOl . At the stops everyone will be super friendly though.

You'll have great trip, looking forward to hearing how it all goes. If I can think of any more local tips that the tourist map wont have I'll drop you a message.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2020 22:28 

Wow, thank you very much for all that. We'll be getting the map out and marking all places of interest then try and devise a route that fits our time. Already beginning to think two months might be better than two weeks for touring 😲

2004 Monster S4R
Wilier La Triestina