It is currently 25 Apr 2024 21:40

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009 19:47 

Seriously thinking about buying a new XB9SX. Totally fell for it a couple of years ago, and a recent house move and a new lengthy commute means I have the perfect excuse to get my dream bike.

I'm going to use it daily, so really need some reassurance its not going to cost me an arm and a leg. Heard some scare stories about rear tyres only fitted by dealerships who charge £200??? Also people selling bikes due to massively uncomfortable hot engines.

I'm afraid I've got to compare it to the practicality of the Hornet or Z750. I know, I know but moneys tight!

Cheers

Jo

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009 19:59 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Joly72 wrote:
Seriously thinking about buying a new XB9SX

Nice bike!

Joly72 wrote:
Totally fell for it a couple of years ago, and a recent house move and a new lengthy commute means I have the perfect excuse to get my dream bike.

I'm going to use it daily, so really need some reassurance its not going to cost me an arm and a leg

Lots of us use them daily, some here are into the 20,000 mile mark now .. A Buell is a real enthusiasts bike and you will probably need a set of spanners for a tweek here and there now and then, if you keep a Buell properly maintained, you will be rewarded for it ... Standard cans rust a lot so an after market one like a Remus would be an idea, some here get them free with the bike ...

Where are you in the UK .. ?

Joly72 wrote:
Heard some scare stories about rear tyres only fitted by dealerships who charge £200???

If you use a dealer, maybe ... so dont ... Any decent tyre fitter will fit just fine as long as they torque it up right and grease the spindle ..

Joly72 wrote:
Also people selling bikes due to massively uncomfortable hot engines.

The 2010 model your thinking of comes with a right hand air scoop for extra cooling, unless your in an S1 then you wont have any arse baking moments

Joly72 wrote:
I'm afraid I've got to compare it to the practicality of the Hornet or Z750. I know, I know but moneys tight!

Cheers

Jo

Jap reliability and smooth dull engine or miles of shit eating grins and loonacy ...

Hmmmm !

welcome to the forum

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009 20:49 

Current ride: X1 2001
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
you know not everything you do in life makes sense...

some stuff :twisted: :twisted: :yup:

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009 10:02 

Thanks for the advice Ash. I'm based near Croydon in Saff London. I have the pleasure of ripping through Streatham and Brixton on my daily commute (Beirut would be safer!) so just wanted to know I'm not buying a money pit.

You mentioned some Buells are sold with after market cans? (my nearest Buell dealership is Warrs in Chislehurst any bad reports on them?) Any idea how much would one cost and if I've got a realistic chance of negotiating one as part of the purchasing process?

Also is the Buell tool kit (sold in their accessory catalogue) any good?

Cheers again
Jo

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009 10:28 

Joly - comuttin thru Brixton :shock: What you need is MY Transalp - because they are used in some parts of the world by the Military Honda now make an optional Rocket Launcher !! I'm cheesed orf today. Promised purchase of my TA fell thru so i have had to let down seller of a Uly. Felt S###e havin to call this morn & tell his wife the glad tidings :cry:

But remember Joly (this IS my new motto ;)
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)

Cant rem where i picked that up recently - maybe someones strap line on here even ? but it is helping me in my justification to buy myself a Ulysses !!

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009 10:50 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
I've been commuting daily on a Buell for a while, admittedly not very long distance. 4 years on an M2, and 3 years on an XB. No problems to date (I've done it now, haven't I :?: :? )

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009 11:23 

Bonzo wrote:
I've been commuting daily on a Buell for a while, admittedly not very long distance. 4 years on an M2, and 3 years on an XB. No problems to date (I've done it now, haven't I :?: :? )

Not at all :D In the world of Jap Dominance evryone need's that little bit of help to open their minds & put aside the advice from those who have NO experience whatsoever of anything "different", and are all too eager to advise us that "oooo no you dont want one of those, i have heard of problems"

You know - the ones that conveniently forget the woes of Honda with the early VF's (of which i had experience :evil: ), the GPZ750 doin it's valves in (my mate had that) and a long list of other such gems.

I never know why the biking world (& press especially) just love to put the niche market manufacturer's down. Of course the press are completely driven by ad revenues from the big Jap companies which focuses their minds too much !

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009 18:25 

Yer buying a money pit, don`t bother.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009 19:58 

Current ride: X1 2001
att wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: Hello Att :potm:

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009 23:53 
i do near enough the same journey everyday on my city x. croydon - white city. and its much more fun than doing it with a jap 4. warrs are alright but have a look around try shaws HD at the bottom af the A22 fairly decent ride down and always seemed to have a bit more in stock down there.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009 00:39 

Nutah wrote:
att wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: Hello Att :potm:

It's a full Moon ;) :rofl: :rofl: