It is currently 19 Mar 2024 07:28

All times are UTC

Post subject: Another new member!
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2015 21:17 

Current ride: M2 cyclone
Hi everyone, finally got myself a buell , always fancied one and after a load of older jap 4,s ( it's an age think 53 lol) last one was a bandit 12. Got a 2002 tuber m2 cyclone 5k miles stored since 2007. Hopin I done the right thing, any advice re upgrades very welcome. Be gentle with a newbie 8-)

Post subject: Re: Another new member!
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2015 21:49 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
Welcome, well you did well with the model for a newbie. Loads of info on here and don't be afraid to ask unless it's about private registrations :yup:

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 09:58 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
Welcome Bunnyboy (53 isn't old ...ask me how I know!)
Good choice of bike, but get it checked out by someone who really knows Buells well, lots of parts that may have deteriorated despite the lack of use/wear eg rubber mounts.
Whereabouts are you? It helps with recommendations for the above as well as invites to rides/events...

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 13:54 
Bunnyman wrote:
Got a 2002 tuber m2 cyclone 5k

:yup: One of the best all round Buell's ......ever :D

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 14:58 

Thanks for replies, i am in northampton and am told northants v twin are excellent with buells as they both ride them, it looks great an runs well, i am goin to get them to give it a full service an see how it is. Are their any upgrades you recommend ?? I do a few ralkys every summer with me mates ( we bin doin em for over 30yrs now). My only concern is luggage? The bandit had great bungee points on the frame. I usually take a roll bag with tent etc in it.. Any luggage carrying tips ?? Cheers ian

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 15:33 

Your bike is basically sound from the factory as they did upgrades as they went along. Yours being a late model has all the usual factory upgrades built in. Worth while mods to make IMHO, are a billet front engine mount, full US spec gearing (front and rear pulleys), free flowing air filter (I like the Buell pro race type ones, others like the awful elbow type ones). Free flowing pipes (Suggest the replica Buell Pro race ones), XB Rocker box covers and breather valves. Mikuni HSR 42 easy kit carb, Dyna ignition box with selectable curves and adjustable rev limit. Fit a Maz style grease nipple to the gear box output shaft and make sure you run the drive belt super slack. Probably most important of all inspect and replace the oil pump drive skew gear with one of the upgraded type, do this within the next few thousand miles or so. All those are well proven mods and money well spent IMO. You have a very underated unfashionable motorcycle that will last many, many years and give lots of fun if you do the above mods. HTH.

Edited to add - Ventura do luggage racks for M2's, don't know if they're available new or now now. Also, fuel tanks are prone to bubbling paint, this is pretty incurable without switching to one of the Holt Works alloy tanks.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 15:55 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
03 wrote:
(air filter) I like the Buell pro race type ones, others like the awful elbow type ones.

Objection! ...misleading the witness! lOl If you are a dwarf you might well be able to ride it with a tin of Spam nailed centrally over the carb, but for anyone of human proportions the Forcewinder elbow moves the filter forward allowing you some knee room.
03 wrote:
You have a very underated unfashionable motorcycle...

Objection! ...unfashionable? :? ...why? because it has a pillion perch? And we're trying to keep the underrated bit a secret! ;)

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 16:04 

Thanks thats some really useful info..appreciate that... Im glad i got the m2 now.. I was looking at a lightning but it looked a bit unloved, an also the newer xb12 . Theat looked really nice but i preferrd the old scool frame look an the more comfy seat look.. Its the black one with the orange frame. I liked the look my kids hate it lol

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 16:30 
Bunnyman wrote:
Thanks for replies, i am in northampton and am told northants v twin are excellent with buells as they both ride them

:yup: Dave & Julie are big Buell fans - they will take good care :sun:

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 16:48 

Current ride: m2 cyclone
ive toured spain twice on my 2001 cyclone and use a tank bag and oxford 50 litre roll bag held on by bungees , brilliant. :sun: :yup:

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 19:02 

Thanks everyone a great forum I'm gonna spend the night trawling the search engine lol,

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 19:16 

......and you have the benefit of RWU forks (as they are stupidly called) which in my opinion, work better than the budget USD forks fitted to the S1/X1 types, unless you get them worked on :yup:

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 19:17 

rik wrote:
03 wrote:
(air filter) I like the Buell pro race type ones, others like the awful elbow type ones.

Objection! ...misleading the witness! lOl If you are a dwarf you might well be able to ride it with a tin of Spam nailed centrally over the carb, but for anyone of human proportions the Forcewinder elbow moves the filter forward allowing you some knee room.
03 wrote:
You have a very underated unfashionable motorcycle...

Objection! ...unfashionable? :? ...why? because it has a pillion perch? And we're trying to keep the underrated bit a secret! ;)

Nope, the Buell pro race style air filter is offset forward to give as much right knee room as possible. For the benefit of the OP, the original pro race air filter had a crap bendy allyback plate, but there are vendors out there now who offer a similar filter set up with a machined ally backplate, much sturdier. I suppose the elbow type filters are OK if you don't mind having a blackadder style cod piece hanging off the end of your carb.

Well, the M2 has always been branded the poor relation to the S1/X1 series, it's a matter of taste, fact is the bikes are about 97% the same.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 19:19 

Adam wrote:
......and you have the benefit of RWU forks (as they are stupidly called) which in my opinion, work better than the budget USD forks fitted to the S1/X1 types, unless you get them worked on :yup:

100% correct!

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015 21:26 

Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
M2's rule

Originally test rode a S1wl and bought a M2. Never felt I'd made the wrong choice.