It is currently 29 Mar 2024 05:43

All times are UTC

Post subject: new-b
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015 09:59 

Current ride: FZS600
Hi guys, have joined the forum rather to ask about the 1125R, there is one locally for sale at a dealer in Frome, firstly I rather double-took on the price as less than £5k on a 2010 plate and 13000 miles considering the 2006 Tuono at the same place is the same price bar a £100, but a bit of www searching sees they don't make much and have some issues.....

Obviously they're an esoteric bike, having built and seriously enjoyed a Spondon RG500 I've got a handle on esoteric. but it seems to have a bit of a Britten to it which I kinda like the idea of. My main quiz is as the later ones appear to have been much sorted in the engine management among other things compared to the first ones how can I tell the one here is a late one not just an early one that's been registered later. Although only had a quick look as I've only just seen the bike advertised there doesn't seem to be a huge amount on them in here as far as serious/expensive "problems" are concerned.

Cheers for your time, any feedback'd be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: new-b
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015 10:25 

Current ride: 06 12R
Mornin,

By the sound of it I am just up the road from you.

There are clutch and charging issues which you'd want to be aware of.

But the 1125 is not a model I know much about tbh.

Welcome along :)

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015 10:57 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
Welcome VBS easiest giveaway as to 2010 or not is if it has an oil level sight glass. Older ones didn't.

"The 1125cc liquid-cooled 2010 engines have the latest clutch hydraulics, new water pump bearing, much modified cam chain guides and a far easier oil check procedure - it’s now done on the sidestand through a sight glass.
All 2010 models get a revised front brake master cylinder to reduce lever travel. There’s also a new fuel pump and fuel pressure sensor. 30mm wheel bearings and dust shields with 3 bearings on the rear wheel. New axles and wheel hubs to suit the new bearings. New front exhaust oxygen sensor. New Wiring harness. New LED tail lamp. New cooling fan strategy, which is now speed and temperature driven. New battery tender connection built into the wiring harness."

But....at about 3000 miles the clutch slave cylinder can fail. Mine was done under warranty and has behaved itself since. Oberon do a better modified version which is a direct replacement. All XB and 1125 series bikes do like regular wheel bearing changes, some doing them at each tyre change :shock:
The 2010 charging systems have been troublesome with the stators burning out and possibly taking Voltage regulators with them, pretty much guaranteed. A few work arounds involving drilling the rotor to increase oil cooling after rewind seems to work or put a pre 2009 stator and rotor in. Excellent bikes other than that or if paranoid get a Honda Firestorm (but watch the cam chains :-) )

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015 13:42 

Cheers Deepsix, good easy thing to check that sight glass! Haven't even seen one before so dunno if it'll fit me being more Dani Pedrosa than David Jefferies, will likely go look see.

We're t'other side of Frome from the lions, near Radstock btw Mr Onanist, I guess you'd not get out much with that handle?

Thanks for the input guys, I may be back.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015 19:12 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Welcome...

Bit rich in price though... Wasn't long ago that they were mid two thousands...

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015 19:49 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
Good round up from Deep6 (as a fellow 2010 1125CR owner 8-) ) on what to find on a 2010 model but to the best of my knowledge no 2010 1125Rs made it to the UK and only a handful of CRs. 08 1125R has blueish frame and 25th Anniversary plate on top yoke. 09 models have black frame.

Excellent good value motorcycle with just those two common faults which are as well to budget for sorting at an early stage then just get on with enjoying it :D

Steve

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015 21:32 
ursus americanus wrote:
Good round up from Deep6 (as a fellow 2010 1125CR owner 8-) ) on what to find on a 2010 model but to the best of my knowledge no 2010 1125Rs made it to the UK and only a handful of CRs. 08 1125R has blueish frame and 25th Anniversary plate on top yoke. 09 models have black frame.

Excellent good value motorcycle with just those two common faults which are as well to budget for sorting at an early stage then just get on with enjoying it :D

Steve

Got to agree with Steve. I wasn't that impressed with the 1125 until I bought one (with the above faults) Now, it's more like a member of the family than a bike. It's a very potent engine, it sounds like a bag of spanners and goes like a scalded cat. There's just something about Buells that make them unique, I've 2 Harley-engined ones but the Rotax version suits my riding style to a tee.

It's a lot of bike for the money, I ended up with putting a 2008 stator and regulator on mine and have had no problems (£200 second hand) I've changed the master cylinders for Kawasaki ZX14 radial ones (both the clutch and brake have feel whereas before none)

Its an awesome bike. A bitch to clean with that crappy crinkle finish everywhere, exclusive and comfy (I'm a lanky 6'1") Pay what you want to pay. Remember its not Japanese or Italian, so, unless your at a Buell do you'll be the only one there on one and you do tend to attract the trainspotter/window licker/dreamer ilk.

Imagine it as an 1190 £7K cheaper ;)

Simon

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015 08:11 

Cheers guys, had a good look at the pics, is on Autotrader (other vehicle for sale sites are available) thanks to Photoshop I downloaded and could zoom in on the motor and can't see a sight glass, certainly not on the right side, should be by the front downpipe on the right of motor shouldn't it?

Looks like the frame's black tho' so figure it's going to be an 09. Guess not many were sold so maybe they're all the same age!

Think I'll go have a look at it, might sit on it and find it feels right or not, is a good start, only snag is would it get through noise reg's at Castle Combe? Lots of std stuff doesn't....looks like the race licence rears its' head again.

Cheers ears

Andy

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015 09:22 

virtualbodysnatcher wrote:
Cheers guys, had a good look at the pics, is on Autotrader (other vehicle for sale sites are available) thanks to Photoshop I downloaded and could zoom in on the motor and can't see a sight glass, certainly not on the right side, should be by the front downpipe on the right of motor shouldn't it?
Andy

There you go, just look for a big white arrow... :old:

Attachments:
buell-1125r-2_800x0w.jpg
buell-1125r-2_800x0w.jpg [ 102.26 KiB | Viewed 1259 times ]

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015 08:33 

Yep, can't see that on the pic I got off the www, just registered in 2010 then, no particular reason to discount it tho' is it. Mind you by the time I get some spare time to go look it'll be gone, the joy of self employment! This weekend's out the window. Will try next weekend subject to weather and finding my driving licence.....

Cheers ears

Andy

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015 15:19 
I'm self employed and I'm off out this weekend for a blast round, and bollocks to them. :P

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015 17:29 

Current ride: m2 cyclone
T :yt:

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015 17:35 

My local track (Oulton Park) is very noise sensitive and has a limit of 102Db. My 1125 produces under 100Db when I refit the standard can.
Don't discount the 2008 models, they don't have the charging issues (expensive to fix) or cam chain tensioner issues but are prone to waterpump seal leakage. All models will probably need the clutch slave cylinder upgrade (Oberon will sort you out ;) )
My R has no where near the grunt of my Duc 1198, but the Buell is waaaay easier to ride fast and handles brilliantly out of the box - where as the Duc took nearly £3k of K-Tech goodies to sort out.
The front brake doesn't have the outright power of twin monoblock Brembos, but does give you more feel for what the tyre is doing.
All things considered, I'd say the 1125 was a better bike than the Duc, especially if you fit a EBR ecm :yup:

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015 20:26 

I wouldn't worry too much about having to rush round to see it, I don't think that they sell too fast. Ensure you make it known that it is not a last model year despite the reg and try to get a discount for that if you go for it. Nowt wrong with it being an earlier model, :old: as highlighted above 2008 tend to have less charging issues

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015 07:59 

Good O' thanks for all that. To be fiar I've not ridden anything properly lairy for some time, amount of times I get on the Fazer it feels fast, tho' is the mk1 so can worry rice puddings..... so anything'll feel quite entertaining.

Not sure what the limit is at Castle Combe but they do stick the mic' 1/2 a mtr or so from the exhaust and give it 3/4 revs.

Cheers ears