It is currently 28 Mar 2024 14:59

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014 19:15 

Current ride: various
Just bought a very low miles 2003 XB9S from a retired engineer friend. Engine all good as blueprinted 300 miles ago and had a couple of newbie questions:
1, where's best to get spares servicing bits and other goodies? I am in West Sussex.
2, bike is on its original drive belt which looks fine, but do they time expire like car cambelts?

Never had a Buell or anything HD before, riding Ducati's & ancient tat for 30+ years so looking forward to seeing how the Buell goes.

Regards
Paul.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014 19:23 

If it's not got one, fit a sprung belt tensioner.
Check your wheel bearings, they last a surprisingly brief time - you need to remove the wheels to do this.
Depending on it's miles, check the oil pump drive gear, no need to explain why lOl

Check the rear belt for damage, then forget about it lOl

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2014 19:41 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
Re belt life, check out my thread http://www.ukbeg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18454&p=247913&hilit=belt#p247913 And mine has a hard life in extreme heat all the time time. (as do I :sad1:)

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014 19:20 

crashburnfly wrote:
Just bought a very low miles 2003 XB9S from a retired engineer friend. Engine all good as blueprinted 300 miles ago and had a couple of newbie questions:
1, where's best to get spares servicing bits and other goodies? I am in West Sussex.
2, bike is on its original drive belt which looks fine, but do they time expire like car cambelts?

Never had a Buell or anything HD before, riding Ducati's & ancient tat for 30+ years so looking forward to seeing how the Buell goes.

Regards
Paul.

Hi Paul. As :maz: is a bloody long way from West Sussex, I've been using Shaw Harley Davidson near Lewes. They have a tame Buell-trained bloke who will service your bike. They are a good bunch and won't rip you off. Cheers.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014 21:28 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
Replace the oil pump drive gear as soon as possible.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014 21:41 

Current ride: 2001 X1//TRK 502x
Or try Beakeys they are near you :shock: :shock: :o ............. :coat: :couch:

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014 00:35 

Current ride: 2008 XB12ss, 1993 XL
With regards to belt life on any bike it depends on many factors, if the pullys are OK and in line then providing you dont pick up a stone or similar they last for well in excess of 30 K in my experience. In saying that Buell riders tend to "boot" their bikes more than the average Harley rider. I have ridden a belt drive Sportster for over 140,000 miles and had 6 belts and 2 changes of cogs at both ends. I am in the process of obtaining a 1125 Buell which I hope to pick up this week not sure how long belts will last on that. In my experiece no matter what you do the belt will fail at an an inconvenient time. I have always used Cycle Haven in Lincoln for parts but ensure you know the part number. Dayco Panther belts seem more supple than the OEM parts in my opinion but as always you pay the money and take your choice. No doubt there will be other advice for you to consider from members. From experience they either give up on the outside lane on the motorway or in your drive when you snick it into gear and all points in between. enjoy

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014 06:22 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I've been lucky and only broken two belts, both on S1s and both doing wheelies... :(

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017 16:25 

Current ride: various
I managed to answer my own question - the original belt on my 2003 XB9s lasted until last year and 7,000 miles before it snapped. I checked it frequently and no signs of any failure signs and it just went when under modest load and then it coasted to a stop outside a country pub I had wanting to try out for ages.
New belt came from www.twinmotorcycles.nl and an easy swap - just remember to put new belt over paddock stand before lifting bike and starting to dismantle.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017 14:44 

Current ride: xb12scg
Sanatogen Geoff wrote:
crashburnfly wrote:

Regards
Paul.

Hi Paul. As :maz: is a bloody long way from West Sussex, I've been using Shaw Harley Davidson near Lewes. They have a tame Buell-trained bloke who will service your bike. They are a good bunch and won't rip you off. Cheers.

Won't rip you off.? 85 quid a feckin hour labour😩

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017 18:28 
Site Admin

Assuming that's plus vat ?.......I'm 40 quid an hour and dont charge vat, parts at cost....this would more than cover the cost of having your bike couriered to mine :)

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017 22:19 

Current ride: xb12scg
No brainer maz,can't believe they wanted to charge me that to change the tyres.😩

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2017 22:23 
Site Admin

Nobody in their right mind would ever take a car or a bike to a main stealer for tyres :roll: ......they have massive overheads and will charge top dollar for tyres and labour.
Also, when it comes to H-D dealers, techs in the shop either dont have or wont use torque wrenches, which is not good for Buells :idea:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017 02:23 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
Maz wrote:
Also, when it comes to H-D dealers, techs in the shop either dont have or wont use torque wrenches, which is not good for Buells :idea:
:shock:

Doesn't surprise me though!

I'm about to head off on a short sun break :sun: :D ...Then back to the grind for a horrible marathon session of shifts at work :( :cry: But I'll give you a bell in a few weeks :maz: to arrange a date for mid October for what we talked about and a few other bits.

Chiz_4 wrote:
No brainer maz,can't believe they wanted to charge me that to change the tyres.😩

Definitely a no brainer Chiz. For a few tanks of gas, a good ride up and the low cost of the B&B up the road with a full English brekkie...I'm looking forward to it. The lesson on what is being done to the bike is invaluable and I know a great bar on Park Road that does cost price beers. ( :maz: ;) )

I just wish Maz would work on my other bike...Maybe I should just flick it and buy another Buell lOl