It is currently 20 Apr 2024 05:18

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014 21:22 

Current ride: M2 Cyclone
Should have joined ages ago ... maybe I did and am having a senior moment.

Have run an M2 Cyclone for ten years or more - the same one. It doesn't get daily use, being one of three bikes, and I spend most of my riding life on test bikes, because I write for and edit American-V magazine.

The Cyclone has been off the road for a couple of years – since I took it round the Thundersprint Grand Prix in a carpark circuit - awaiting tyres while I indulged myself with my old Shovelhead Harley. But this year it's the Shovel's turn to be laid up, and with fresh rubber and dry joints the old Tuber was bedding in nicely until an ill-advised run out in a monsoon drenched all those nice dry joints and the combination hasn't done it any good.

Have since cleaned up all the connections and remade them, and have got a couple of relays which I'm not sure about fitting in case they're the wrong ones: catalogues have forgotten about the Buell and there's no cross-referencing. I have borrowed Paddy Yates' (from Harleyworld, Chesterfield) service manual which has proved useful for testing stuff, but no mention of part numbers.

One of the original relays seems to be working fine, the original replacement (an MC-RLY5) is definitely dead, and the other original appears to be working backwards.

The original problem: it didn't start on the button after refuelling, but switching the relays fixed it in the short term, fitted the new relay and it seemed happy, briefly, but then it got worse over the course of a couple of hours, and the following day didn't respond to medication.

One of the diodes is also not doing what it should be, but I'm considering binning all the interlocks anyway because I trust myself not to be stupid, but might as well get a pair just to get the full system working before I start messing around further.

If anyone has a parts book to hand and can point me at the right part number for the relays and diodes, I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Andy

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014 21:30 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Welcome...

Relay for starter Y0210.K and diode Y0211.K.

Come to the S1 meet up at the end of July and get us in the mag ;)

Cheers

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014 21:45 
Site Admin

He's in Chesire Pash ie. right on my doorstep ......pop in ferra brew Andy or at least my open day on 5th July :idea:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014 21:50 

Welcome back Andy :yup: Do you remember coming over to my gaff all those years ago to do an article on my bikes for your mag?
I'll catch up with you at Maz's open day 8-)

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014 21:59 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Cool, let's get some snaps in American V of the open day. :D

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014 11:54 

It is to my eternal shame that I've never managed to catch up with Maz - I hear nothing but good things - and we don't hear enough about what is going on in the world of Buell.

That's going to have to change - not least because EBR is here - and having just bought the magazine back we've got big plans for it: more diversification in terms of the brands now that there are five that we can readily draw on, as well as starting a petition to make the purchase of a tube-frame Buell for just its engine and logbook a hanging offence :-)

Adam, remind me: was that the two bikes down nr Pant? Seen so many bloody motorbikes in the past fifteen years that I can't keep track any more: good job I like 'em otherwise I would have gone daft ... dafter. From memory, was it an S1 and an M2 styled to look like an S1? Was going to look it up, but the old publisher has been very quick in killing access to the American-V domains :-( We hadn't even announced the change of ownership yet!

Had been put on to http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/ for cross-referencing, but will chat with Maz first: looks like my relays are wrong (oem 31511-01A rather than 31522-00C) but it might just be that they are four rather than 5-pin and inconsequential cos the first pin isn't used. While they are still sealed, it makes sense to sort that all out.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014 14:32 

AmVAndy wrote:
It is to my eternal shame that I've never managed to catch up with Maz - I hear nothing but good things - and we don't hear enough about what is going on in the world of Buell.

That's going to have to change - not least because EBR is here - and having just bought the magazine back we've got big plans for it: more diversification in terms of the brands now that there are five that we can readily draw on, as well as starting a petition to make the purchase of a tube-frame Buell for just its engine and logbook a hanging offence :-)

Adam, remind me: was that the two bikes down nr Pant? Seen so many bloody motorbikes in the past fifteen years that I can't keep track any more: good job I like 'em otherwise I would have gone daft ... dafter. From memory, was it an S1 and an M2 styled to look like an S1? Was going to look it up, but the old publisher has been very quick in killing access to the American-V domains :-( We hadn't even announced the change of ownership yet!

Had been put on to http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/ for cross-referencing, but will chat with Maz first: looks like my relays are wrong (oem 31511-01A rather than 31522-00C) but it might just be that they are four rather than 5-pin and inconsequential cos the first pin isn't used. While they are still sealed, it makes sense to sort that all out.

Yep, 'twas a XB9 and the 'stealth' ;) M2 with a S1 arse. I think the magazine is still bogside lOl

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014 20:32 

That's the one. Hell, that was a long time ago.

The good news is that I've tracked down the problem to a faulty neutral light switch: it did occasionally come on before but now it's fully out and bypassing it means the bike starts like it's meant to.

Off to see Maz tomorrow, to see his new gaff, and half of me is thinking about wiring-out the neutral switch and riding up there on the Cyclone, cos he'll probably make much lighter work of ripping the gearbox pulley off to get to the bugger than I will.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014 10:27 

Now that they've reinstated the site, I can tell you it was in AmV4 ... and from the days when we found the time to reproduce magazines on-line, albeit in a reduced state:

http://www.american-v.co.uk/ORIGINAL/cu ... index.html

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014 13:39 

Current ride: XB 12 Firebolt
Wecome Andy; nice article, :yup:

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014 16:57 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
A good read. Interesting that Paula now rides a Monster - apparently she didn't know about the Scg ;)

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014 18:20 

t965m wrote:
Interesting that Paula now rides a Monster

pnar, pnar.... lOl lOl

That XB shat a con rod in Scotland lOl.

I think that article was dated around 2003/4 - takes yer back, don't it?

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014 19:01 

Current ride: Cyclone m2 1998
I've got a parts book for 98 cyclone, if you want a photo copy of the pages, let me know. Peter

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014 19:57 

cyclonem2pete wrote:
I've got a parts book for 98 cyclone, if you want a photo copy of the pages, let me know. Peter

Thanks, I'll let you know if I need owt. My X1 is now my baby lOl

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2014 20:14 

Current ride: Cyclone m2 1998
Um pic of my M2 was in vtwin last year at Northants v twin show :)