It is currently 25 Apr 2024 05:05

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 29 May 2014 13:30 

Current ride: BMW R1150 GS
Hello folks,

I've been doing a fair bit of reading on this forum, so thought I'd better sign up and say hello, so I can pick the brains of the experienced and of course hopefully contribute something back later too!

My recent bikes have been a Firestorm and 1150GS, but I've been a fan of Buells for some time and I'm looking to scratch that Buell itch I've had for a while. It won't be needed for commuting on a daily basis, but mainly for fun and hopefully a few longer trips home and abroad.

Anyway, I've decided to look for a later (2008+) Ulysses, in the hope most of the early known gremlins were addressed on the later models. Other than overall condition, is there anything I should look out for on the later models and can wheel bearings be checked easily without a paddock stand? (I have seen people pivot bikes on the front wheel and sidestand, but I'm not sure I could reasonably ask a seller to do that while I spun their rear wheel!).

Perhaps more importantly, having never ridden one, any tips on what to specificly look/feel/listen for on a test ride would be greatly appreciated ...other than the front wheel to come up easily!

Having just missed out on a few decent looking bikes in recent months, perhaps I should also post in the Wanted section to see if anyone is interested in parting with their clean, late model, low mileage Uly?

Cheers,
D

PostPosted: 29 May 2014 13:51 

It's difficult to check the wheel bearings like you would normally. You really have to remove the wheels and rotate the bearings with your fingers. Don't let that put you off though, quality bearings are cheap enough ;)
I've got a Firestorm for the track and the power delivery is similar to an XB (only more so :D ) so you'll like it :yup: