It is currently 28 Mar 2024 19:27

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 07 May 2014 21:58 

Current ride: 2008 XB12ss, 1993 XL
Looking at other posts this could be risky but worth a try.

I am seriously considering purchasing a second hand rotax engined Buell 2009 onwards.
I have run a 1993 Sportster for over 20 years and over 150,000 miles and am looking for something a little more modern to rely on. (still reflecting on not purchasing a Buell 12 years ago but didn't have the money).

I am used to the home maintenance for the Sportster engined variants and I guess that belts etc last for similar mileages (perhaps slightly less as Buells are not ridden like the majority of Sportsters).

Does the forum have views on if belt changes etc on 1125s are easily achieved in the average home garage and expectancy of mileage would be welcome.

I notice that on usual sales sites there seem to be a number of low mileage bikes kicking around (less than 3000 miles & a number that have clearly been enjoyed).

Presumably I will need to update my metric tool kit

Other than that any tips or warnings ?

Thanks folks

PostPosted: 08 May 2014 05:54 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Welcome Jim... :sun:

PostPosted: 08 May 2014 07:50 

Current ride: Yamaha
Depending on which model year you buy, the 1125R has different niggles - but IMHO they are only niggles as opposed to significant issues affecting reliability. A quick search on here will reveal all.

With regard to reliability, the rotax lump is (if properly serviced) as reliable as any other bike engine and I've seen bikes up for sale that have done over 30,000 miles with no issues.

I'm always wary when people say average home mechanic as this can mean so many things. But, assuming that you are handy with spanners, nothing is especially complicated when compared to other modern bikes - time consuming is probably more the point.

There are plenty on here with a vast amount of experience who will no doubt be along shortly to give you better answers.

PostPosted: 08 May 2014 08:02 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
Welcome Jim
The 1125 is a great engine. ( 146 hp standard) It will bring a big smile to your face. There have been issues with it though; mainly to do with the charging system. Early ones didn't charge enough newer ones tended to overcharge and burn stators. They are sortable though and when on song are brilliant. Clutch slave cylinders have similar problems to KTMs but there is an easy fix; fit an Oberon one. Wheel bearings have the same limited lifespan as all the XB range; newer (2010 models) got a three bearing rear wheel)
The standard exhaust is typically crap in that is is mild steel and rusts quicker than a rusty thing. Luckily Albert666 on here makes beautiful stainless exhaust systems which makes getting an 1125 worth it just for somewhere to display one. There is one of his in the for sale section right now viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18726
They are very under rated bikes :old: ( but frustrating at tiimes :headbang: )

PostPosted: 08 May 2014 08:53 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
Jim1340
the modern Rotax engine Buell’s are a bit different than the older HD powered one's, they rev to almost twice as much and so the power and torque are a lot higher up in the rev range .
Personally I like the low down torque of the HD motor

PostPosted: 08 May 2014 09:27 

Current ride: 2001 X1, EBR 1190SX
Welcome Jim. I can't give any advice or opinion on the Rotax bikes, but if you come to East Kirby for Ems day (see the events section) I am sure that there will be plenty of people able to chat to you about them, and probably a few to look at. Hope to see you there! :yup:

PostPosted: 08 May 2014 09:43 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
Matron wrote:
Welcome Jim. I can't give any advice or opinion on the Rotax bikes, but if you come to East Kirby for Ems day (see the events section) I am sure that there will be plenty of people able to chat to you about them, and probably a few to look at. Hope to see you there! :yup:

Good point :yup: Erik Buell is coming over to judge the wet T shirt competition too I believe. It's all Steve's idea to increase interest in the new models. When I say models I say that in the loosest terms. When I say loose that doesn't mean they're bad people.
This may all be a figroll of my imagination though.

PostPosted: 08 May 2014 10:58 

That's useful so far folks.
With regard to Hawks "average home mechanic" I usually weigh up what needs doing and if I can do it or if it is better trusted to a professional. eg when the alternator failed at about 85000 miles I didn't fancy taking the job on but took the opportunity to have the clutch cable changed as well as there was wear at the bar end to the nipple. Wheel removal, belt and Pulley changes, oil and filter servicing etc usually within scope at home. Work usually done on a simple B2 bike lift positioned to raise either front, rear or both. I am guessing paddock stands are more appropriate to the 1125s

Any other views welcome

PostPosted: 08 May 2014 17:32 

Current ride: CZ 350!
deepsix wrote:
Matron wrote:

Good point :yup: Erik Buell is coming over to judge the wet T shirt competition too I believe. It's all Steve's idea to increase interest in the new models. When I say models I say that in the loosest terms. When I say loose that doesn't mean they're bad people.
This may all be a figroll of my imagination though.

:rotfl: On form today !

and welcome Jim

PostPosted: 08 May 2014 19:10 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Belt change is easily done at home by the average mechanic , whatever year you get if it hasn't got an Oberon clutch slave cylinder factor in getting one ...If you get a 2008 model R (blue frame) the charging will be ok If you get a 2009 or 2010 factor in a modified alternator rotor if not already done .
They are fantastic bikes and even make good two up tourers but just lack luggage space.

PostPosted: 09 May 2014 17:04 
150,000 miles + is quite an achievement on one bike and more so on a Sporty. I managed about 50k on an iron head I used to have , which I thought was dedication enough, especially when it involved a good few European trips on a peanut tank and two up on a postage stamp seat.

PostPosted: 09 May 2014 22:39 

jiltedjohn wrote:
150,000 miles + is quite an achievement on one bike and more so on a Sporty. I managed about 50k on an iron head I used to have , which I thought was dedication enough, especially when it involved a good few European trips on a peanut tank and two up on a postage stamp seat.

To be honest I covered a fair few miles commuting a 90 miles round trip for 7 years but older Sportster engines are so over engineered that they cope with big mileages if you do simple maintenance. I took a fair bit of advice from good people and competent mechanics many of whom may not still be trading including The Harley shop in Castleford, Notts custom cycles, Classic and Custom in Chesterfield, and more recently and still trading Le Rock in Mansfield. I have a soft spot for Buells for obvious reasons and am finding the advice on the forum a useful tool as the majority of the motorcycle press etc seems to be biased towards the big companies which I have little time for since my FS1E.
Rant over folks.