It is currently 29 Mar 2024 09:55

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2013 17:21 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
:yt: No such thing as a free lunch etc etc

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 19:03 

Current ride: X1 Lightning
You can write whatever you want here about what I did - it is called free speech.
From legal point of view I am not an owner - AND I AM FULLY AWARE OF IT!!!
If he/she will turn up at my doorstep claiming their bike I’ll be more than happy to negotiate price equal of cat D bike – as I found it.
On the other hand I've spent last 3-4 months trying to find him/her with help of local council, Metropolitan Police and finally DVLA - unsuccessfully - full stop.
In my actions I followed advice from POLICE and DVLA – if this is not representation of LAW in this country then what is?

For time being whether some might not like it I will restore it and ride instead of watching it rotting and being stolen in pieces.
And all that comes at price - so there is nothing like free lunch - agree.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 19:13 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Nothing wrong with it being free, it wasn't intended as a negative comment. The bottom line is that you had the intelligence to do the spade work to recover a bike that had been dumped at the side of the road.

I would have done the same had I had the opportunity.

At worst, you have recycled someone else's waste, at best you have let yourself in on one of motorcycling's best kept secrets...

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 19:19 

Current ride: S1`s
Give Dvla a few quid and they will give you the address of registered owner by filling in a form , did it on a car left in a garage I bought.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 20:04 

TOPGUMM wrote:
Give Dvla a few quid and they will give you the address of registered owner by filling in a form , did it on a car left in a garage I bought.

I think just to clarify and maybe inform others about – “right” way of reclaiming bike.

I did initially V888 +fee – but DVLA refused to provide previous owner details due to confidentiality of data.

Then contacted Council – they checked bike – road tax expired mid 2012 – so it shouldn’t be allowed on public road or removed to Councils compound – they FAILED to check it for so long – that must have been embarrassing. As Council couldn’t do anything apart from scraping it (£££) – they were very slow on that (unlike with cars ;-) but informed me to check with MET.

MET (Metropolitan Police) – did police record check – about 3 working days and called me back – “no record” – what now? – I asked – “…You did all reasonable possible to get in touch with previous owner – apply to DVLA for new V5. If they will ask provide with all case ref numbers you collected from Council and MET – it shouldn’t be a problem.”

Just to stay on safe side I called DVLA (paid number) and explained my query once again. They said that - if I apply for new V5 for bike they are required by law to inform previous owner about my attempt – that is why it takes 4-6 weeks to process form V62 (with reasonable fee of £25).

So after all that I received V5.

Now keys – local HD dealer said – no problem give us frame no./your details/V5/ID and within 6 weeks you should get new set (cut in US).

As I said before I am fully aware of some sort of legal-limbo I am in (I did my homework spending hours on internet and phone - checking it all).

At the end of the day - come on – who would like to get rid of that beauty ;-)

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 20:15 

You`ll be lucky to get the keys from US, better to get second hand lock set for ignition, seat lock.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 20:25 

I think all the DVLA keep a record of is the previous keeper, as named in the V5. The actual owner, who has the 'title' of the bike may be someone entirely different :? Legally, you have to demonstrate that the owner (not the keeper) has abandoned his property, before you can claim title.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 22:06 
Milf Hunter

Current ride: '98 S1
Perhaps the owner is in a coma, in prison, in Afghanistan............

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 22:19 

Current ride: 2001 M2
Top marks, I would have done the same. Indeed, 'Theft by finding' is only committed where reasonable steps to identify the owner have not been taken. That criticism could hardly be levelled at you.

The only caution, of course, is that the lawful owner will always be the lawful owner until they decide to pass that onto someone else; in other words, whilst you may wish to negotiate a 'cat D' price for the bike, they may not wish to sell it to you in which case the bike remains theirs....so, for the time being, be wary of just how much money you invest in this bike. You could lose it...you just have to weigh up the odds of the 'owner' coming forward...the longer they remain unknown, obviously the less likely that will be.

But....GOOD RESULT :dance:

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 22:29 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
mojomick wrote:
Perhaps the owner is in a coma, in prison, in Afghanistan............

:yt:

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 23:33 

Current ride: 2001 X1//TRK 502x
the owner proberly bought a fueler instead. :coat:

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013 23:55 

For your all - thanks for support.

According to V5 I am second keeper since registration in 2001 so it seems and that is very possible that 1st owner was also 1st keeper.

Lacy wrote:
....so, for the time being, be wary of just how much money you invest in this bike. You could lose it...

I'll keep this "precious tip" in mind thanks.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013 00:15 

Sent you a Personal message , click on messages where you log on.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013 11:20 
Mr. Tourettes

A friend of mine did the same thing with a camper van that was left standing for 2 years outside his house. He went down the same route as you with DVLA, police etc. All this was in 2004, he cleaned it up inside and out, not too difficult as it was only 4 year's old.

Being well aware of his legal status as keeper not owner, the most he spent was on keys and reprograming, he put about 85k miles on the clock, mostly trips to MotoGP's etc. all over Europe. About two years ago a letter arrived from someone claiming to be the owner who said he had just got out of prison. The guy enclosed a copies of his original receipt from a VW dealer. After a lot of letters back and forth, a claim turned up from a finance company!!

The upshot of all this is that he made an offer to the finance company of a couple of thousand, which they accepted. Happy day's lOl lOl

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2014 21:46 

Moving on - started recovery - loads of dirt some oil and rust.

Must say I am falling into it :D

Attachments:
31.12.2013.JPG
31.12.2013.JPG [ 303.86 KiB | Viewed 540 times ]
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next