It is currently 19 Apr 2024 17:11

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013 13:53 

Current ride: M2 cyclone 2002
Hi folks,

passed my bike test a few weeks ago, and got myself a Buell M2 Cyclone 2002 as a first bike... the one in the picture to be precise. much to the apprehension of some friends and family with their "that's a big bike for a beginner" warnings.

a couple of queries as a beginner buell owner and new rider. hope you can help, but please excuse my naivety and/or stupidity.

my lovely new(ish) bike seems to take quite a while to warm up, especailly when riding around at town speeds... it runs quite roughly (including some popping/backfiring) unless the choke/enrichener is fully out for quite a while. certainly longer than the couple of minutes suggested in the bike handbook. should i be worried about that? once it's warm enough it seems to run fine, just takes quite a while to get warm. being in sunny scotland in september probably doesn't help.

the front brake disc is a little pitted in places, nothing bad enough to fail an MOT apparently as it has a nice new one, but just wondering if this means i have to look into getting a replacement disc sooner rather than later...?

I believe this bike has the standard exhaust on it at the moment, and it also came with a "race only" pipe that i'm very tempted to fit... but i'm aware that it'll affect how the engine delivers power to make it even harder to ride around town. any suggestions for a brand/type of exhaust as a middle ground between standard and ridiculously noisy...?

I'm looking forward to your suggestions and comments, and i'm also fully prepared for the sarcastic responses that seem to be expected from this forum. ;)

cheers.

Attachments:
m2.jpg
m2.jpg [ 68.9 KiB | Viewed 1530 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013 16:03 

Welcome 8-) The M2 will be perfectly suited to a 'low hours pilot'. The linear torque won't give you any nasty surprises.
As for warming up, they do take a very long time. The secret to motor longevity imho, is that they take 5-10 miles to do so properly, the motor is a big lump and grows considerably and can lead to leaks if it's spanked too early.
Fitting your 'Race only pipe' will be fine, but you may need to raise your main jet needle a tad (I've no idea what carb you have, but it simply involves shimming or lowering a tiny circlip) Possibly, if you ride WFO a lot, you may need to increase the size of the main jet.
Any other doubts, just ask - even if you think it's a daft question, that's what we're here for 8-)
If you want a top quality pipe, then PM Alan (Albert 666) on this site. The pipes he makes are works of art, work extremely well, and don't break with the vibes your bike makes - like many others do. He has a Website with some of his stuff on; you'll be impressed :yup:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013 16:18 
Pat on the back to you dude for purchasing a Buell :yup: They do generally take a long time to warm up. In sunny Plymouth about 3 mins to settle down (fuel injection) then Buell reckons as adam says 5-10 miles before engine is ready to thrash ;) Not to sure about the carb version, do know that the standard exhaust is restrictive though, you sure you have the race system? (larger bore headers and tailpipe) or do you mean an aftermarket silencer cus if you do fit that anyway. Suggest you send a PM copy of your first post to MAZ on here as he's the man where these bikes are concerned and am sure he'll be glad to put you straight about anything :clap:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013 19:14 

Current ride: 2001 M2
Welcome!....Lovely bike....(well, I would say that.....it's the same as mine :yup: )...If it's been laid up a while or used infrequently (and the 'pitted' disc might point to that) it might take a couple of tankfulls of fresh petrol to sort itself out....mine did...give it a bit of time and a few good runs and see how it fares...

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013 19:59 

Current ride: 2001 X1//TRK 502x
Ah a complete virgin with good taste. lOl Welcome and dive right in,all your answers are here. You will find many friends on here, just stick with it and give as good as you get ;)

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013 20:51 

Current ride: M2 cyclone 2002
cheers guys, really appreciate the welcome and the quick responses. :D

must say that once it is eventually warm it's a lovely thing to ride, easily the best thing i've been on anyway... however given that i've only ever ridden 3 others that's not a big statement. i was learning on a kawasaki er-5, a suzuki gladius and some chinese thing that i can't pronounce... i presume it translates as "disposable learner dropable bike".

i'm glad it's not too unusual for it to take a while to heat up. and yes Lacy it has been in hibernation for a bit prior to me blowing the cobwebs off. might let it run close to reserve and then treat it to some tasty high(er) octane fuel.

personal highlight of owning it so far though: leaving work and starting it up in an underground carpark alongside some quiet and especially whiney sounding japanese bikes... not sure i'd ever get bored of that contrast in noise.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013 22:39 

Current ride: m2 cyclone
i got an m2, always start and leave to warm up for about 10 mins from cold and always use high octane juice :yup:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013 23:15 

tyranomonkey wrote:

personal highlight of owning it so far though: leaving work and starting it up in an underground carpark alongside some quiet and especially whiney sounding japanese bikes... not sure i'd ever get bored of that contrast in noise.

Wait 'till you learn how to make it bang on the overrun with the kill switch ;) lOl lOl

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013 23:25 
Site Admin

.....and bend yer exhaust valves :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013 23:40 

Maz wrote:
.....and bend yer exhaust valves :roll:

Good job I can't do it with the X1's FI then lOl

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013 10:25 
Welcome - best bike ever made :D :D

One thing to remember - when you leave it to warm up - watch it doesn't go for a walk !! - as the vibrations can cause the side stand to jump about - so just keep an eye on it - :yup:

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2013 00:20 

Current ride: FJ1200
coco wrote:
i got an m2, [...] and always use high octane juice :yup:

Why is that, if I may barge in?
Something to do with knocking?

Scuse the curiosity, trying to learn as much as I can bout M2s

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2013 00:41 

Current ride: FJ1200
tyranomonkey wrote:
Hi folks,

passed my bike test a few weeks ago, and got myself a Buell M2 Cyclone 2002 as a first bike...

Blimey, the youth of today! :old:
My first bike was a Honda C90 cub.

Congratulations mate, enjoy!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013 10:18 

Current ride: xb12s lightning
Welcome nice to see another Scottish member :yup:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013 14:42 

Current ride: Buell S1, Buell S3T
Hi welcome from Aberdeenshire