It is currently 28 Mar 2024 16:58

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Hello From Suffolk
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018 23:53 

Current ride: The wife
Bublnsqueak wrote:
The only disadvantage of a chain that I can find is the lack of a cush drive. I guess a belt absorbs some of the shocks..

Shocks that will destroy your gearbox

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2018 01:18 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
That looks great for having a good go at. good luck.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2018 14:28 

Current ride: 2007 Ulysses
Finmows wrote:
Shocks that will destroy your gearbox

Yes, thats the worry - Anyone had a gearbox destroyed by a chain. Or wheel bearings?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2018 15:47 

Current ride: S1`s
Bought an s1wl that had been running a tight belt which destroyed the gearbox shaft and rear wheel as bearings had spun in it. Chain will do as much damage.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018 06:12 

Having had a google around this is a topic that gets debated every now and then. Interesting one on the role of tensioners under engine braking with a chain.

Whatever the nuts and bolts of it, the bike is a harsh (agricultural) ride at low revs / speed so a belt would make it smoother I guess.

Saving up and watching the classifieds.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018 19:02 

Current ride: XB12R, F800GT etc.
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Hi there,
Don't worry about seeing other Buells, I live near Matlock in Derbyshire & I've only seen one other in over a year & there are hundreds of bikes every Saturday & Sunday just down the road in Matlock Bath. They are a rare sight indeed, but I'm sure you'll get as much support as I have in this forum.
All the best Paul.

Did a weekend camping at Matlock Bath Rugby Club this year and saw a couple of Buells outside the Aquarium. With 30+ Honda Cubs which was good fun but regretted not taking the XB as well, especially when I went on to Maz's BBQ with the 90 hanging off the back of the van!

Will be taking both next year! :D

Oh and welcome (from Essex) Paul.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018 00:27 

Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
Forgot to say, I'm from Sudbury

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018 13:43 

Living in Elmswell, Working in Colchester - Organisation has offices all over Essex.

The thing that turned me into a born again biker (BAB?) was spending practically the whole of a week back in the heatwave sitting in my car on either the A14 or A12. The only movement was when I moved over to let a bike through.

The plan is to use the bike for this type of trip when the weather is fine next summer. There are other routes though: Perhaps something a bit twistier than the A12....

Paul

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018 14:31 

Bublnsqueak wrote:
Living in Elmswell, Working in Colchester - Organisation has offices all over Essex.
The thing that turned me into a born again biker (BAB?) was spending practically the whole of a week back in the heatwave sitting in my car on either the A14 or A12. The only movement was when I moved over to let a bike through.
The plan is to use the bike for this type of trip when the weather is fine next summer. There are other routes though: Perhaps something a bit twistier than the A12....
Paul

Suffolk is by far my favourite local county for riding both solo and in company, usually via Finchingfield. I popped up to the new BMW dealer to have a tyre fitted earlier this year. Left home at 9am, got back at 7pm.
My return to bikes was prompted by 2 things. Seeing the ads for the first Firebolt online and really wanting one. Realised this was just a pipe dream as gave up riding in 1984 (and was married). 10 years later my son announced he was getting a bike so I bought something to ride with him. That's when the mania hit me again. Took another 4 years to find the Bolt but I still smile every time I open the shed to get it out. Nothing else like it! :D

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018 16:26 

bikerbaker wrote:
Bublnsqueak wrote:
Paul

Suffolk is by far my favourite local county for riding both solo and in company, usually via Finchingfield. I popped up to the new BMW dealer to have a tyre fitted earlier this year. Left home at 9am, got back at 7pm.
My return to bikes was prompted by 2 things. Seeing the ads for the first Firebolt online and really wanting one. Realised this was just a pipe dream as gave up riding in 1984 (and was married). 10 years later my son announced he was getting a bike so I bought something to ride with him. That's when the mania hit me again. Took another 4 years to find the Bolt but I still smile every time I open the shed to get it out. Nothing else like it! :D

Hopefully the BMW shop was fully aware of the correct procedure for torquing up the rear axle?

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2018 15:56 

Adam wrote:
Hopefully the BMW shop was fully aware of the correct procedure for torquing up the rear axle?

Probably, but not worried as mine is not a "real" BMW. It has Rotax on the dipstick.

Do you still have the Nuda? :D

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2018 16:48 

bikerbaker wrote:
Adam wrote:

Probably, but not worried as mine is not a "real" BMW. It has Rotax on the dipstick.

Do you still have the Nuda? :D

Yep, still the most fun bike I've ever ridden........although I love my Buells more lOl

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2018 20:53 

Current ride: m2 cyclone
Think adam meant torque up of firebolt rear wheel

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2018 21:04 

coco wrote:
Think adam meant torque up of firebolt rear wheel

See what you mean. :oooops:

Not sure what they would have made of the Bolt! Not sure they were that keen on the F800 as not adventurey enough. :D

That's unfair really, they were the friendliest BMW dealer I have used so far.