It is currently 29 Mar 2024 01:46

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 24 May 2014 08:28 

Current ride: XB9R Firebolt
Hi all,

Apologies if this is a silly question, I am not particularly new to Buells, but am new to fiddling with their electronics!

I want to perform a TPS reset on my 2004 XB12R. I'm not sure from reading the website, can this be done with the demo version of ECMSPY, or does it need the fully activated one?

Do I simply download the software demo version, or is there anything else I need to download to go with it?

I have no problem with donating some money to activate ECMSPY, but the activation section of the website is currently saying that no new activations are allowed.

I bought my bike recently after it had been standing around unused since 2008. I have so far given it a full service, all the fluids, pads, plugs, filters, tyres etc. When I first got it, it was running really badly, rough idle and would stall if the throttle was opened quickly, but would pick up ok if it was opened gradually. Also was prone to stalling and lacked torque at low revs.

I have drained the fuel and filled with fresh, this has drastically improved how it runs, so clearly old fuel was the main culprit- I think it may sort itself out altogether with a good long run with fresh fuel in the system- but I want to check the TPS setting, as the plugs (particularly the front plug) showed sooty deposits/signs of running rich. It strikes me that the TPS setting is a good place to start, as an incorrect fuel/air mix would be caused by an incorrect TPS setting and would display the symptoms it is showing, particularly at low revs.

Any comments much appreciated!

Simon.

PostPosted: 24 May 2014 15:23 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
TPS reset is a good place to start.

Not sure about the status of ECMSpy registration. You can do it with a Palm or I would think ECMDroid too.

If you are going to East Kirkby on Monday I will do it for you.

PostPosted: 26 May 2014 01:48 

Current ride: XB9R Firebolt
Thank you for the reply, thanks particularly for the offer of help- I will have to turn it down this time though, as the bike was exported to the Isle of Man for a few years, and I'm still waiting on the paperwork coming back from DVLA to get its UK registration back, so not quite road legal yet...

I think from your reply you mean that the full version of ECMspy is needed, ie the demo download won't do the TPS reset?

And please excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by palm or ECMdroid, are these alternative devices to a laptop? I'm reasonably handy with Windows/PC based stuff, but don't really have much experience of anything else e.g. Mac, tablets etc...

Thanks again,
Simon.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014 11:57 

Current ride: 99 X1 Lightning
Hi all. I've got the cable and all the maps available being shipped in from Arizona. Unfortunately I've no idea what to do with it. Anyone in the South that knows their stuff and can help out with tweaking the ECM and doing the re sets? Let me know what beer/ vino you prefer and I'll happily do a swap :-)

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014 13:46 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Here you go...

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014 18:37 

Current ride: 99 X1 Lightning
Cheers Pash.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2016 01:34 

Current ride: Buell X1
My bike was parked 5 years on a driveway. I think I know what you need. New fuel pump Delphi works great 35£. Fuel pressure regulator is most expensive around 50£. Very important new :idea: fuel strainer with out this everything got no sense. You can buy from eastern Europe like 5£. "New" injectors 4 Bosch on ebuy cost you like 20£ They are stock one! You can reversely clean your one but I want save your time and mess. New fuel filter if not bought yet I got universal 10£. O-rings for regulator and injectors from plumbing store little bit of DIY and you done. :dance: the Germans! you can donate where you want. TPS no needed you will see. That bike is so simple! Change engine isolators if you don't want to have electrical problems and possibility of fire!!!! No joke.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2016 03:22 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
BobbyFisher wrote:
I think I know what you need.

That would probably have been helpful...... 2 1/2 years ago lOl

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2016 09:28 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
Bonzo wrote:
BobbyFisher wrote:
I think I know what you need.

That would probably have been helpful...... 2 1/2 years ago lOl

:rotfl:

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016 00:30 

Current ride: Buell X1
Yes I spot that after I post. Think is you don't need to be a genius to figure it out problem is in fuel delivery system :mrgreen: Ecm spy do not help you in this matter.