Last visit was: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:28 pm It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00




 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 1847
Current ride: Triumph ST - RS
Location: West Lothian, Bonnie Scotland
I'm running in the new Street Triple and I have to keep below 5k for the first 400 miles. It's tedious but I'm doing it.

What's the view on running in as per manufacturers instructions against just riding normally or thrashing the nuts off it?

The weather was good enough to ride it to work today - pissing down but no snow and ice, which was nice :D

_________________
Better to Burn Out Than Fade Away

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 833
:eat:

We must be due an oil thread soon too.

_________________
Try doing this to yer fueller...........


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:43 pm
Posts: 6047
Current ride: The wife
Location: Cofa's tree
t965m wrote:
I'm running in the new Street Triple and I have to keep below 5k for the first 400 miles. It's tedious but I'm doing it.

And what are you going to do tomorrow?

_________________
I hate being strapped for cash....but it pays the bills


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:43 pm
Posts: 2685
Current ride: S1`s
Location: Llanelli South Wales
My mate bought a secondhand Aprilia and it took him a year to finally run it in !

Told him he`s a girl. (Other politically incorrect sayings are available)


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Posts: 10253
Current ride: X1 2001 White Riot
Location: southampton
you spent good money buying it
run it in as per manufacture instructions , look after it :mrgreen:

_________________
Obey the principles without being bound by them.
Bruce Lee


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 1847
Current ride: Triumph ST - RS
Location: West Lothian, Bonnie Scotland
That’s what everyone has said. I was hoping for a ‘better’ answer :rotfl:

_________________
Better to Burn Out Than Fade Away

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Triumph Street Triple RS
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Posts: 10253
Current ride: X1 2001 White Riot
Location: southampton
OK rag the shit out of it , don't service it ever
oh & add a handfull of swarf & grinding paste to the oil that polishes up the internals
like they do to race bikes , the bloke in the pub told me & he knows everything allegedly

..then trade it in & buy a real bike ;) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

_________________
Obey the principles without being bound by them.
Bruce Lee


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:24 am
Posts: 1614
I used to just forget when I was running stuff in, never seemed to cause any problems in the long run.
I didn`t think Japanese stuff needed running in anyways.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:10 pm
Posts: 3103
Current ride: Buell ulysses
Location: Telford
Let it warm up before riding and take it easy don't let it Labour , if it were a truck or a van it would be worked from the start . Try and vary the revs .

_________________
Buell Ulysses XB12X 06/08
CCM R30 (650cc) 02
Norton Dominators


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:48 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 pm
Posts: 8415
Location: Manchester
:yt:

_________________
Mithered ta death.
92 MB
96 S2T
98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Posts: 2877
Current ride: XB9SX
I seem to recall reading about Honda doing some tests with a Fireblade years ago to see how effective running in was. Thrashed from new with just a warm up at the start of a ride made for a powerful motor......which didn’t last, while religiously observing the factory recommended running in procedure made for smidgeon less absolute peak power.....but a smoother engine whose power lasted much longer........along with the engine which would cover twice as many miles. ;)

Do you plan to rebuild the motor before every ride like a race engine? I wouldn’t ;)


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 9:27 pm
Posts: 1434
Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
Location: Glossop in't th'hills
att wrote:
I used to just forget when I was running stuff in, never seemed to cause any problems in the long run.
I didn`t think Japanese stuff needed running in anyways.


It's Taiwanese not Japanese :hehe: :hehe:


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:10 pm
Posts: 2031
Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
Location: Liverpool
edd wrote:
I seem to recall reading about Honda doing some tests with a Fireblade years ago to see how effective running in was. Thrashed from new with just a warm up at the start of a ride made for a powerful motor......which didn’t last, while religiously observing the factory recommended running in procedure made for smidgeon less absolute peak power.....but a smoother engine whose power lasted much longer........along with the engine which would cover twice as many miles. ;)

Do you plan to rebuild the motor before every ride like a race engine? I wouldn’t ;)


Funny you mention that, I've just collected my freshly rebored barrels and have such a dilemma

_________________
Last year I joined a group for anti-social people
We haven't met yet.


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:43 pm
Posts: 6047
Current ride: The wife
Location: Cofa's tree
t965m wrote:
That’s what everyone has said. I was hoping for a ‘better’ answer :rotfl:

I could run it in for you :twisted:

_________________
I hate being strapped for cash....but it pays the bills


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Running in
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Posts: 10253
Current ride: X1 2001 White Riot
Location: southampton
gusm2 wrote:
edd wrote:
I seem to recall reading about Honda doing some tests with a Fireblade years ago to see how effective running in was. Thrashed from new with just a warm up at the start of a ride made for a powerful motor......which didn’t last, while religiously observing the factory recommended running in procedure made for smidgeon less absolute peak power.....but a smoother engine whose power lasted much longer........along with the engine which would cover twice as many miles. ;)

Do you plan to rebuild the motor before every ride like a race engine? I wouldn’t ;)


Funny you mention that, I've just collected my freshly rebored barrels and have such a dilemma


yeh but as you only go 1/4 mile at a time it's gonna take fukin ages to run it in ;)

_________________
Obey the principles without being bound by them.
Bruce Lee


Top
   
 
 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited