It is currently 26 Apr 2024 11:53

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 09:12 

Current ride: Buell S1 Lightning
Following huge peer pressure, well a tiny bit really, on the forum about the 6 bobbin front disc fitted to my S1 I've purchased a 9 bobbin Buell disc from Germany recently for £65 delivered, nice condtion. It's worth searching different E-Bay country sites. I've found an NOS front mudguard in France, an airbox in Italy and quite a bit of stuff from Germany, obviously America is still easiest but the shipping costs can be mad.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 09:17 

Current ride: .....
Lars wrote:
Following huge peer pressure, well a tiny bit really, on the forum about the 6 bobbin front disc fitted to my S1 I've purchased a 9 bobbin Buell disc from Germany recently for £65 delivered, nice condtion. It's worth searching different E-Bay country sites. I've found an NOS front mudguard in France, an airbox in Italy and quite a bit of stuff from Germany, obviously America is still easiest but the shipping costs can be mad.

what exactly is wrong with the 6 bobbin disc?
does it stop the bike?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 10:22 

Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
Trigger warning - opinions expressed in this post do not conform to current thoughts and practices, take them on board at your own risk of public humiliation

The 6 bobbin disk is disliked by many, for various reasons that people never really go into, yes it rattles ( a lot), but so does a Ducati dry clutch - I call it character. I hear of seized bobbins and other issues, but that affects other discs too.
I have a 6 bobbin disk on my M2, it is running the replacement bobbin kit (which quietens it done a lot but not totally), I have had no issues with it in the 20 years of the bikes life (other than replacing the bobbins once)and it is still in a serviceable condition today. Sitting in a draw is a brand new updated Buell disc that will be fitted the next time the front wheel is out. I'm not replacing the disc through necessity, as there is not an issue with the current one and it works fine, but rather (a pathetic reason really) so that other owners don’t 'knock' my bike for not having the latest or greatest disc (this has happened). My old disc will go into a draw and marked up as spare for potential re-use in the future.
:couch:

Attachments:
canofworms.gif
canofworms.gif [ 1001.81 KiB | Viewed 1128 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 12:50 

Graeme1203 wrote:
Trigger warning - opinions expressed in this post do not conform to current thoughts and practices, take them on board at your own risk of public humiliation

I am sorry to say my reaction to the people who tell me that [with out good reason]
is to go forth an multiply.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 13:01 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
TBH my old 6 bobbin disc rattled like fuck when sat at lights with the whole front end doing the shitting dog routine. The upgrade was well worth it just to reduce the embarrassment lOl

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 13:09 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
Graeme1203 wrote:
yes it rattles ( a lot), but so does a Ducati dry clutch - I call it character.

I call it the main reason I wouldn't buy a Ducati with a dry clutch, it sounds more like a Hari Krishna convention than a motorcycle.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 13:23 

It's not just the Ducati clutch that rattles when dry, I run a Norton and a Triumph with dry clutches and they rattle too. There are ways to quieten a Ducati dry clutch, you can't hear the clutch on my 1198, but most people like them noisy.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 13:36 

Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
nigelbread wrote:
Graeme1203 wrote:

I am sorry to say my reaction to the people who tell me that [with out good reason]
is to go forth an multiply.

Well........please consider my attempt at a sense of humour and myself as told. :roll:

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 13:51 
ricerocket uk (jd motorsport) selling for £141 free postage (csk type).

ok ordered and on it,s way. new csk bolts also in s/s (£5 for ten, so have a few left over)

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 14:13 

Current ride: S1`s
:eat: S/Steel fixings :eat: lOl

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 15:02 

Graeme1203 wrote:

Well........please consider my attempt at a sense of humour and myself as told. :roll:

NO I was referring to your comment ref being told that the 6 bobbin disc was a shit disk!

I agree with you post in its entirety.
I have been put off buying a buell historically as I have been informed they mostly seem over priced and have many faults!
I nearly bought the last of the EBRs in Scotland and much to my regret I did not!

I need to explain myself better!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 15:07 

TOPGUMM wrote:
:eat: S/Steel fixings :eat: lOl

stainless in to aluminium?
plus road salt.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 15:49 
summer bike only :D and yes i know about electrolysis :oooops: but couldn't find cad plated

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 17:08 
a10ken wrote:
summer bike only :D and yes i know about electrolysis :oooops: but couldn't find cad plated

sorry my mistake , i should have said galvanic reaction, s/s to ally with a large contact area is ok however ally bolt/rivet to s/s bad!!, folks have been using s/s bolt kits in jap/brit etc casings for 40 plus yrs so will be fine.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018 17:32 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
The hex is small on the csk screws. I’m pretty sure it will round off on a SS variant before you get any decent torque on them...